Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Happy Halloween

I am so behind on this record keeping it's ridiculous. Too much happens too quickly is all I can say. Was Halloween really just a week ago? It seems like longer. We had a lot of fun this Halloween and celebrated all month long. After a month full of Halloween activities our little tarantula, fly and lady bug were definitely ready to finally dress up for the Trunk or Treat.


A spider and fly seem like natural enemies, but after a few episodes like the ones pictured below we decided that tarantulas and flys are actually friends.


Ruby made an adorable little ladybug. It was actually Ruby's costume that determined the bug theme for this year. We've always had coordinating costumes in the past and Reed was determined to keep the tradition alive--although if anyone said anything about them all being insects Reed had to say, "Actually spiders are not insects they are arachnids." Thank you Reed.


I didn't think there was a chance Ruby would keep her antenna on, but amazingly enough she kept them on the whole time.


Max wasn't just any old fly. He was sure to let everyone know that he was "actually a deer fly---because they bite! " I loved his costume. It turned out way better then I thought it would since we were just winging the pattern. Speaking of wings...I think Sam did an awesome job on Max's fly wings. They turned out great and really helped pull the look together.


I may have been impressed with the wings, but I don't think Max was. Once Max was all dressed up he said, "Now how do I fly?" I really think he thought he was going to be able to fly. He flapped and flapped and said, "Awwwwww" with slumped shoulders as only Max can and said with great disappointment, "How do flies do it?"


Before we decided on a tarantula costume Reed wanted to be a praying mantis. ( I am sooooo glad we decided against that. The tarantula was complicated enough!) Reed was really happy with how his costume turned out too and enjoyed having a pillow stuffed in his back all night. "This is way more comfortable than the praying mantis costume would have been. Watch this!" and he'd flop right down on his back. I did love his costume, but his 4 extra eyes might have been my favorite.


Reed had no problem getting into his part---he loved it.


It was a crazy and sometimes exhausting Halloween season for us. We had lots of fun, but I think I'll be just fine waiting another 11 months before starting it again.

5 comments:

grandmother said...

Well it goes without saying the little ladybug is so adorable. The Max deer fly is so cool and cute, but I wouldn't want to get bit by him. I can see how Max thought he should be able to fly; the wings look great, Sam. The gigantic Reed tarantula looks awesome. In the last two pictures it not only shows that Reed lookes like a gigantic tarantula, but can act and move like one, too. Scarrrry. Good Job Lindsay.

Whitney said...

Your kids look cute! The costumes turned out great!

Adrienne said...

Your kids are adorable. I love that fly costume. I want to be a fly next year.

Nancy said...

Wow, Lindsay, you are so creative with a little bit of help from Sam. Your kids are lucky!

Robyn said...

You amaze me! Super cute!!!