Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Friday, January 13, 2012

Christmas--Part 1

I know the middle of January isn't normally when you can't get Christmas off your mind, but since I've yet to record anything about it, I can't seem to move on. I guess it doesn't help that our Christmas tree is still up...we've gotta get that thing down.

Speaking of Christmas trees, I think I'll start there. This year we fulfilled my lifelong dream of cutting down our own Christmas tree as a family. Being novices in this tradition we did make the mistake of trying to do it in the dark. Sam met us after work and at first I didn't understand why the tree farm employees looked at us like we were crazy when we showed up right at closing time completely unprepared.

Fortunately they had pity on us and loaned us a flashlight so we could see where we were going. UNfortunately it only took Ruby about 30 seconds to commandeer the light, making it nearly useless. We loved the tree we ended up with, but it was just by luck that we picked it--we really could hardly see anything.



Reed and Sam cutting-- not burning---- the tree down.


Cutting our own tree was great, but the real fun started once we got home and busted into the Christmas stuff. The kids had so much fun digging through the boxes finding all of their ornaments. Every year I have the kids pick out an ornament that represents something about them or something that they love. I loved hearing them excitedly reminisce as they uncovered their personal treasures.


With only two Christmases under her belt, Ruby didn't have many ornaments of her own to hang, but that didn't stop her from hoarding all the other ornaments she found. In fact, she was more interested in keeping them in a pile than hanging them the tree.


Ruby might not have many of her own ornaments yet, but she sure loves the few that she has. I think this ornament stayed in her hands more than it stayed on the tree.


The boys did a great job getting the whole tree decorated. They were determined to do it all on their own. I admired their determination. I did, however, NOT approve of all of their methods.




While the boys busied themselves with the ornaments Ruby was happy to work on untangling some extra lights.



The lights stayed pretty tangled, but Ruby didn't seem to mind.


I almost had a heart attack when Sam nonchalantly reached up to put the star at the top of our tree. Growing up, putting our angel atop the tree was really big deal and my sisters and I took turns having the privilege of putting it on. Ruby was the lucky one this year.


When we were just about done Reed said, "Now it's really looking like our tree". It makes me happy there is something that looks like "our" tree.


In the end I think the tree looked beautiful. All it needs is a finished tree skirt. I guess there's always next year.

3 comments:

John Evelyn said...

It really was a beautiful tree. I really enjoyed reading how it got that way. Good job Reed, Max, and Ruby. It looked phenomenal.

John Evelyn said...

it really does look like you guys are setting the tree on fire.

Unknown said...

So so pretty! Ruby is perfection.

I want to see you guys! We live close. And now with the holidays and the wedding over, we MUST get together so I can make good on my promise to force you guys to be our best friends.

We could make necklaces and whatnot.