Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Q: Where do good times go to die?

A: Deep in the files of our computer. The other day the boys asked if they could go on the computer to see what I put on our blog about Valentine's Day. Sadly, I had tell them that I hadn't written anything (nor had I taken a single picture). They love to read about themselves and I love that what I record means a lot to them. This of course made me wish I was waaaay better about doing this than I have been recently. Even though I have nothing to show from Valentine's Day, it was a great day. The boys enjoyed their awesome special breakfast of Lucky Charms (they begged), some chocolate hearts and through the great efforts of their wonderful father,  a delicious dinner for all of us complete with flaming creme brulee.

Later on that night as I was looking through all of the non-Valentines pictures I do have and I came across so many happy memories from the past several months buried deep in our hard drive that I have never done anything with. I'm glad that I have those pictures, but I'd be even happier if they had a few words to go with them. My mom recently came across a quote that I can't get out of my head: "The most faded ink is better then the best memory." I've got plenty of memories, and tons of pictures, but not as much "ink" as I'd like, so he's a little more "ink" from a few months ago.

At the beginning of November, the Bywaters invited us to be apart of a 5K fund raiser that someone in their ward had put together to help a friend with a serious medical condition.  We were happy to join in and even happier when the day of the event turned out to be one of the most perfect fall days of the year.

The event was very small and casual so when we got there they weren't quite ready to start. The kids took advantage of the extra time to play, and I took advantage of the great light to attempt a group shot of the three of them. They never did quite get it together, but in the end I might prefer them just the way they turned out. 


I also got in on the picture action and had Sam take a picture of me because I thought I looked soooo pregnant. Ha! What I wouldn't give to be that "big" now.

Sam also provided some good entertainment for the kids as the quintessential Dad amusement park ride.




This is what the boys do when they are tired of having their picture taken--like that's going to stop me.

Ruby, trying to copy their antics.

I'm not buying it though, this girl loves to be in front of the camera.



And I know they don't really mind either.

After about 30 minutes they were finally ready to start the race. Like I said, it was a very small and casual event, so they let everyone pick their own numbers.  Reed's number was so him.

Ruby's number choice was pretty predictable as well.
 

Max was mostly just anxious for them to start the race.

And when they finally did, they were off in a flash.
 

Did I mention it was the perfect fall day? It was. Sam would have loved to have actually run the race, but someone was very silly and did not bring a stroller for Ruby so after a few hundred feet she decided that she needed to be carried.

Max and Elliot made the cutest little running partners. I couldn't believe how much of it they ran on those little legs.

The course was an out and back, and, even though I only got to jog for a short while, I was still surprised to see Reed heading back the other way before I was even a quarter of the way through. I knew he was determined to run the entire thing, I just didn't know he was planning to stay at top speed the whole time too. When I finally did finish the race Reed walked up to me and asked if I wanted to shake his hand. I did of course, after which he said with a twinkle in his eye, "You just shook the hand of the winner of the race." He was so proud of himself and I was too. When Reed decides to do something, he doesn't give up--and I love that. I was bummed that I had missed his big finish so I told him to reenact crossing the finish line for me.

The race was small, but for Reed the victory was huge.

1 comment:

grandmother said...

Cleaver writer, very good photographer, and great mother, Lindsay - that's what I think of you. Thank you for recording and sharing. Loved the story and the pictures. Max don't' ever get tired of having your picture taken. You have such great expressions. Congratulations, Reed, on your victory, and you weren't even wearing track shoes. Ruby,I can't believe how high your dad was swinging you. You must be brave. Thanks Sam for saving some creme brulé for me. It was delicious. I think you are a great parent, too.