Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Ruby, Ruby, Ruby

My offical due date is not for 6 more days, but for the past several months Sam has done his best to convince me that I will actually be having our baby on Sunday, April 7. That only gives me three days to go. That both excites and terrifies me. I am of course beyond thrilled at the idea of meeting our new little girl, but I am also a little wary of how I will be able to take care of four children. I always knew we were meant to have a fourth child, but coming from a family of three kids, it's a little outside my comfort zone. I am already convinced from previous experience that I will have no shortage of love for this new little one. With each new child my capacity to love has multiplied. Love I don't have doubts about, it's time I'm not so sure of. No matter what I do, I know there are only 24 hours in a day, and some of them must be spent sleeping.  I do know that the Lord can magnify our abilities to meet our circumstances. I look forward to seeing that miracle in my life.

In preparation for what is going to be at the very least a small disruption to my current children's life I thought I would take the next three days to record some things about the three of them. I'll start with Ruby, because...well anyone that lives in our house knows that is the only place to start. She is the epitome of Shel Silverstein's "Me first!" poem, so going in order from "youngest to oldest" is the norm in our family. Live it up Ruby...you've got 3 (or 6) days left in that position.

Here are a few things and a few (ok lots) pictures of Ruby.

1. She loves to do jobs and refuses to be left out when we are doing chores. We have certain jobs that we try to do after breakfast and after dinner and sometimes she is so egear she wants to do both in the morning. We all get a kick out of her excitement when she says, "Who's doing bathrooms with me?"



Table setting is another of her favorites and she has been known to get things organized all on her own.



She likes to clean in style too. She asked me to take a picture of her as the "rag princess"


Waiting to be the "dustpan girl"

2. She loves to go, go, go. She has always amazed me with her abilities on the scooter and tricyle. She loves to ride both and was certainly younger than the boys in picking up these skills (sorry boys!).



3. She loves to read. She probably owes some of this love to her brothers, who she frequnetly observes pouring over a pile of books. She is so motivated in her desire to read and will patiently sound out the letters in words in books even when they are too big for her to make sense of them. She also went through a phase 6 months or so ago where she was so determined to "read" that she wanted us to tell her the words on each page so she could repeat them back.  This is a picture of Sam (back in the broken pinky days) patiently doing "repeat reading" with her.
 

Clearly I can't get enough of her book love since I have plenty of pictures to document it.





4. She runs everywhere she goes. Or... skips, hops or gallops. It's all adorable. 

5. She is a master with the scissors. She's been a competent cutter for a long time, and, following in the footsteps of her brothers, she really enjoys cutting activities.


My favorite is when she tells me what it is she's cut out. I believe this was a bird of some kind.

6. She loves to cook...or help at least. She's quick to push a chair to the counter and beg to help when food is to be prepared.  At the dinner table afterwards she always says some variation of "Thank you Mom and me for making this!"




7.  She is my perfect little guinea pig. Whenever I want to figure out how to use something on my camera, I know just who I need. My girl never tires of having her picture taken. 





Unlike her mother, she is a natural in front of the lens.




8. She's a gamer. She LOVES to play games and will play pretty much any game that she can get someone to join her in.  Headbandz is one of her favorites. Even though it's a little beyond her, she has her own adorable way of playing including clues like, "It's a rope that you jump with...it's a JUMP ROPE."

9. It's still pretty easy to upset and offend her. I don't remember what happened here, but it's her M.O. to run away and pout at even the slightest misdeed.


10. When she's tired she doesn't waste anytime getting to sleep. It's not unusal for her to pass out on the spot or finish her dinner by announcing that she is tired and wants to go to bed.

While playing hide and seek...

Playing UNO

Love to watch her sleep.

11. She's three and already working on her duck face. 


12. She adores her brothers and they adore her. For a girl that passionately claims to only likes girls, I can think of two major exceptions she makes.







I love you like crazy Ruby. Twelve items certainly can't sum you up, but ,like I said, my love doesn't run out--just my time.

1 comment:

grandmother said...

Wow, there's a lot of pictures of you. No one will forgot what you looked like and what you liked to do when you were three. You have so many talents-you like to clean,(your mother liked to clean when she was a little girl, too. We used to call her Cinderella.), athletic, reader, eager and have a lot of energy,(your mother was always jumping around and had a lot of energy. We used to call her the energy bunny.), hard worker, cooker and helper,model,and my favorite--adoring sister to your brothers. I love you.