Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Saturday, May 2, 2015

My "perfect" family

For someone who adores pictures and takes seriously the role they play in memory keeping, I don't have nearly enough "whole family" photos.  We never seem to all be dressed appropriately at the same time and have a tripod or extra hands available to make it happen.  Funny thing is, we didn't have either of those things going for us when we took this picture yet I absolutely love it because it is "us"--a very unfiltered "us". Call it the wannabe journalist in me, but accurate and authentic are two things I am always going for in the record of our life. This picture, which would never have been taken if Brother Cox hadn't been begging for one, satisfies both of my criteria. I love Sam's slightly tired eyes (never enough sleep these days). They are tired, but they are happy and eager to please his wife with this picture. I love Reed's "I'm-going-to-look-as-cooperative-as-possible-so-this-can-be-over-quick" smile (he's my child that least appreciates being photographed---he'll thank me some day--I just  know it. I love Max's casual  and comfortable smile, that always seems to give a "I'm just happy to be here" vibe.  I love Ruby's sweet smile popping up appropriately between the two brothers she tags along after and idolize in so many ways. And then there is Harlow--blonde "handle bar" pig tails, big toothy smile, princess heels (of course), having simultaneously  not a care in the world while stealing the show all at the same time. And then there is me--despite the squinty eyes, it's not a bad pictures considering "photogenic" has never made it to my top ten list of talents...not even my top 50 or 100. Looking at this picture reminds me that there is a lot of perfection in the midst of all the imperfection. That is certainly true around here. I sure love this "perfect" family of mine.

1 comment:

John Evelyn said...

Well i do know what is on your top ten list of talents. Being a Great mother,creative writer and photojournalist. Loved the post.