Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Weekend Drive

This past weekend we went with my mom and grandmother on a drive see the beautiful fall colors that are at their peak right now in the North Carolina mountains. I had always heard good things, but I was still surprised at just how gorgeous it was.

Our first stop was at Mt. Airy (Andy Griffith's hometown, which Mayberry was modeled after.) I am a big Andy Griffith fan--more from Matlock than from the Andy Griffith Show-- but it was still fun to stroll through the cute town. We even stopped by Floyd's Barbershop and met and took a picture with the barber that used to cut Andy Griffith's hair!




Waiting patiently outside Opies Candy Shop (Reed's favorite part of Mayberry!).


Sam--apparently telling a joke to Max.


This is what happens to your kids after you've taken a 100 pictures of them walking down a street. (They turn into posers.)


The drive was long with many wrong turns. In an effort to reach to Grandfather Mountain we stopped to check our directions about 5 times after wrong turns only to discover each and every time that we were "about 45 minutes away." No matter which way we went or for how long...we were always "45 minutes away". Thankfully we were surrounded in beauty even when traveling in the wrong direction. Here is some of what we saw along the way.


Around 5:00 p.m. we finally escaped the "45 minute" vortex that we had been held captive in and arrived at Grandfather Mountain. It was amazingly beautiful and windy---equally. I don't know if I've been in such cold wind in my life!

Apparently Reed's reaction to cold wind is laughter. He could not stop laughing at the big gusts that nearly blew him over.



At the top of the mountain they have a swinging suspension bridge called "Mile High Bridge". I didn't want to go across at first because it was SO cold and windy, but we had been talking about it for a week and Reed was determined to make it across.

In case you needed any further evidence of the wind factor...




My handsome husband.


The bridge.



The view.

8 comments:

Emily said...

Hey guys! Oh my goodness...your boys are so cute! What a fun trip for you to take. This time of year is most definitely the prettiest time to take a trip like this. Are you guys going to St. George this year? I hope so! I would be fun to see you. =)

Whitney said...

i love the wind pictures. i really like the picture of mom's hair. it looks like nana and max were smart and stayed in the car.

Sarah said...

Amazing pictures. I miss living where there are actual seasons! What a fun town to visit. I also love Andy Griffith--but from The Andy Griffith Show. I think I've seen every episode.

Scott said...

Hello there,

Your Mount Airy story came through on one of my Google Alerts.

Seems there are many Dicksons who are Mayberry fans.

Are we related?

Visit www.insearchofmayberry.com

or www.scottdickson.com

My great, great grandfather's house is the Visitor's Center in Hillsborough, NC. We may be long, lost cousins:

http://www.civilwaralbum.com/misc2/dicksonhouse1.htm

http://historichillsborough.org/database/pagemaker.cgi?1153410542

Suzie said...

I was wondering were you have been. I have been wanting to go to Grandfather Mountain and now I am going to go. It looks like so much fun. I love the picture of Reed, he looks so cute.

Laura said...

What a fun trip! We love doing stuff like that with the kids. Fall is my favorite time of year, and your pictures are beautiful!

Jen Dickson said...

gorgeous pics. I love the fall I will miss it in Cali. The boy's are so adorable!! Bay misses them - as you can see on her blog. She will love these pics of them.
Love you!

Robyn said...

hi reed it looks
rile wind thear
love you
sophia