Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

So long Kindergarten...



Two weeks ago Reed had his last day of Kindergarten. I'm a little behind, but the wrap up of this past school year was too important to miss recording.

I wanted to cry when I dropped Reed off for the first day of Kindergarten almost a year ago and again I found myself feeling a little emotional on his last day too. This has been a big year for Reed, and I was a little sad for it to end. He has grown up so much during this past school year that, although I was hesitant to send him, I am so glad I did. I really believe that we were blessed to get just the right teacher for Reed. I couldn't imagine a better teacher for him than Mrs. Dabrowski. She took such a individualized approach to teaching each child and Reed was no exception. She appreciated his special skills and talents, enjoyed his goofy personality and was patient in the areas that still needed a bit of work.


It has also been fun this year for me to watch Reed's personality develop outside the realm of my constant care. He is a confident and sensitive little boy who loves to learn, be silly and make people laugh...especially himself. I am very happy to note that he did not inherit my super shy student personality. Whenever I would help at school I would watch him and think, "He is sooooo not me." He is comfortable with (and really enjoys) the attention he gets from his silly antics. He is fine running around the playground alone at recess, but also has no problem leading out in a game that he just made up, inviting others to join in, and convincing them to play by his rules.

Leading up to the end of the year the school had a field day. Reed was in heaven and particularly enjoyed the water balloons and any other game that involved water. I'm pretty sure it was his goal to get as wet as possible that day.


Mission accomplished.


Having a child in school also made me feel old at times. This was especially true when Reed became interested and involved in some of the kid fads like Silly Bandz. It was interesting to experience a kid craze as an adult. Sam pointed out how appropriately named Silly Bandz are because they are just that---silly. We held out for a while until Reed claimed he was the only kid in his class that didn't have any. I made him 'earn' them and when he finally did get them he was thrilled. It was so funny to listen him make plans of the which ones he wanted to get on his 7th birthday, 8th birthday...etc. Who knew rubber bands could be so exciting?


At first Silly Bandz reminded me of 'friendship bracelets' from the 80's, but now when I see them all I can think of is ramen noodles.

For the last day of school Reed's teacher put together a very sweet little Kindergarten Celebration program. They sang some of their favorite songs, had a slide show and each child got a special award acknowledging a specific aspect of their personality that added to the class. Reed's award was for being a "Living Encyclopedia....no a Wikipedia, no a Reedipedia" and sharing all kinds of interesting facts and information with the class. It was the perfect little award and Reed loved it.


Most of the songs they sang involved some kind of movement or dancing. I was so surprised by what a performer Reed was. I'm pretty sure he was one of the the most into it and I really do not know where he got all his dance moves.



All in all Kindergarten was a great experience. And while I am a little sad to see it end, I do share Reed's excited for what first grade has in store.




2 comments:

Robyn said...

How fun! We miss that silly crazy boy! So when does first grade start?! You will still be a little sad, hesitant on the first day...I think I might every year! But it is so much fun to see them grow into their own little characters!

grandmother said...

Great job Reed! I am really proud of you. I know you will do super in first grade.