Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Friday, July 23, 2010

Gone Fishing



My dad had a meeting in Atlanta earlier this week so he stopped by to see us on his way home. He was only here for about 24 hours, but living on the other side of the country like we do we will take what we can get. It might have been on 24 hours, but we packed in as much Grandfather fun as we could. In the short time he was here the boys and my dad hiked to the pond, went fishing at Bass Lake and finished up with a swim at Jordon Lake. It was pretty much a dream day for my boys, but I'm pretty sure their first fishing outing ever was the highlight.

I must say I was a little skeptical of how much they would enjoy actual fishing because my understanding was that fishing and waiting have a lot in common. I was shocked when after only a few minutes of sitting on the dock My dad and Max pulled in a nice catfish.

I thought that might have been the miraculous moment of the afternoon until a few minutes later Reed pulled a blue gill. I wish I could have gotten a picture of their faces when they reeled in their catch. It was a combination of surprise, elation and for Max a little hesitance. His face said, "Uh...I got this---now what do I do with it?"



Reed tried to be patient, but his preferred method of fishing included casting his line (which I thought he was surprisingly good at) holding it for a minute or two, setting his pole down on the dock beside him and then running up and down the dock saying, "can someone let me know when my bobber is twitching?"



My dad and Max did some great "team" fishing. Max didn't really have a problem waiting for the fish, but he'd get so excited when the fish would nibble at his worm that he would forget to reel them in quickly. Having my dad give him a hand sure helped the fish come in faster.


After a few Grandfather -assisted catches Reed successfully cast his line and pulled in a blue-gill all on his own. He couldn't have been prouder.


Ruby was mostly content (even in the blazing heat!) to hang out with me. She didn't get to do any fishing, but she knew just what to do with the extra bobbers.


The bobber was nice, but blue gill #6 is what she really wanted to get her hands on.


After 7 fish we were ready to call it a day. The boys were so excited to bring their line of fish home. Suprisingly enough Reed was most anxious to get home and eat his fish. "Too bad we didn't catch a tuna because I'd really like to have a tuna fish sandwhich. "

3 comments:

grandmother said...

I think this is the only fishing trip I have heard about, that I wished I could have been there. Sounded fun. Great pictures as usual.

Monica said...

Great pics Lindsay! Looks like a fun time!

Robyn said...

What a fun activity! Great job Reed and Max!