Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Max the Brave

Unfortunately, today Max needed to go to the dentist to have a cavity taken care of. It was his first (and only...I hope!). We made the appointment 3 weeks ago after his check up, and, at the time, the dentist had strongly recommended that he be given nitrous oxide for the procedure because of his age.

I'm all for medicine when my kids really need it, but when they don't necessarily need it I usually pass. I told them when we made our appointment that I wanted to do it without any sedation. They were skeptical but said they would give it a try. I knew Max would be fine, but I decided to hedge my bets by offering him a toy if he was good.

I was feeling pretty good about things as we drove to our appointment, but I thought it would be a good time to remind Max that he could pray for help if he got scared. I told him to think of times when we had prayed and gotten help. He was having trouble thinking of things so I started reminding him when he interrupted me by saying, "Oh I have one...remember that time when I went to the dentist to have my cavity fixed and I prayed to be brave and I was..." while breaking into a big grin. That is sooooo Max's sense of humor.

When we got to the appointment, the dentist again encouraged the nitrous oxide, but I am happy to report that Max did just fine without it. In fact, he was absolutely perfect. He didn't even flinch or make a peep through the whole process. The dentist was completely impressed and said she had never had such a cooperative 5-year-old. She even said, "He's 5?! He acts like a 10 year old!" Max really liked that. He also really liked when I made good on my promise and he got to pick out a toy.

It was a tough choice, but in the end he decided on a bow and arrow and was thrilled. I thought it was the perfect selection for my brave boy and perhaps the best $6 I've spent in a while.







He got a little frustrated when his arrows weren't flying as far as he wanted. I had a solution for that...


I showed him how much better he was than me. My plan worked and he happily jumped right up and said, "Oh, OK...I'll take your picture."


Max has a certain irresistible sweetness that I just want to bottle up sometimes and keep forever (or at least keep for his grumpier moments).


Max wasn't the only one happy with his toy selection. (You'll have to ignore Reed's scanty dress. He had just come home from swim team practice.) The next few pictures do a pretty good job of catching part of the dynamic between these two boys.

Max asking Reed for help...


Max getting a little impatient thinking that Reed is trying to hog the new possession.


And the chase is on.


Good work my brave boy. Just keep praying and flossing and I think you'll be just fine.

1 comment:

grandmother said...

Max, you are so brave. I still get real nervous when I go to the dentist. I am going to follow your example and start praying before I go to the dentist. I love that picture of you lying on the grass and you did a good job taking a picture of your mom. Reed, that is great you are on the swim team. You do have a swimmer's body, strong and lean... like a dolphin.