Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Next stop...Oildale

I don't care what anyone says about Oildale...I think it's beautiful. True, it is not the picture of lush paradise or even a piece of manicured suburbia, but to me there's really something to the dry fields dotted with hard-working oil pumps alongside the occasional tumble weed. If we had had even a few more minutes there I would have made Sam stop and let me take pictures of the beautiful symmetry of the pumps working away in the fields. I also realize that much of the beauty I find in the place has less to do with what I see as a wanna-be photographer and much more with the fact that this landscape is intrinsically tied to so many wonderful childhood memories I have from visits with my grandparents there. Those sweet memories and relationships are the reason we took a detour on our way home from Santa Barbara after the Dickson vacation to visit Oildale.

With no time to stop, this was the only picture I took. I have vowed to capture the true beauty of the scene next time Oildale and I cross paths.


We were only able to visit with my grandparents for the afternoon, so we headed straight for the Kern River. Floating down the river is such a tradition in my Dad's family that it would be impossible count the number of trips they have made there. It was always one of my favorite outings when we visited, and I'm so glad that my own kids got to experience it for themselves.





Sam trying to swim against the current.


I love that at the age of 92, my Grandpa can still enjoy the river that I know he loves. Floating down the river is nothing for him. A few days later, Reed and my dad returned to the Kern River to accompany him on a white water rafting trip. I hope that's what my 90s look like.


Ruby didn't waste any time getting to know and bonding with my grandparents. She can be such a lover and it's one of the things I love most about her.


After a few runs down the river we headed back for an early backyard dinner. Eating in the backyard surrounded by my Grandpa's bountiful garden is something else that was always a part of our visits.


I'm so glad we took the time to stop and visit. Even a quick trip is so valuable. I do love Oildale because I love these people who love me...and now love my kids too.


Our detour certainly made for a long day but also provided a nice quiet ride to Long Beach.

2 comments:

grandmother said...

I really like the way you can use words. Cany you write my next talk? Is that the Kern River spewing out of Max's mouth? Yikes! I really like that picture of Reed and Max asleep in the backseat. That scene reminds me of alot of our trips.

Elizabeth said...

Lindsay! I love catching up on your blog occasionally and when I saw these pictures, it melted my heart! I'm so glad you were able to visit grandma and grandpa, what a treat for them and for you. And, for being a wanna-be photographer, you do an excellent job.