Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Sunday, March 17, 2013

A moment of vanity

I think I can count on my fingers and toes the total number of pictures I have from my previous three pregnancies. When I found out I was expecting again, I was determined to document my expanding figure a little better this time around. It was a good thought, and I have done a little better, but not much. So when a friend (and talented photographer) in my ward offered to take "maternity photos", I uncharacteristically agreed. I think she did a great job--especially considering the fact that my own mother and husband admit that taking a good picture is not among my talents and the fact that I am currently roughly the size of a small walrus.

Taking them was one thing, sharing them is another, but I figure documentation wins out over my own embarrassment/vanity.






A couple things about this pregnancy that are worth remembering. (Since it's almost OVER!!!)

1. I am absolutely thrilled about having another little girl; however, apparently she must be some kind of joker. I normally deal with nausea for the first half of my pregnancy, but for some reason this time around I have felt sick at some point during just about every single day.

2. In my previous pregnancies (especially with Ruby) salt was my go-to remedy whenever I felt sick. This girl, however, isn't interested in a lick of salt. It doesn't help at all, which leads back to item number one.

3. Salt might not be my thing this time, but water sure has been. I don't think I've ever been so thirsty in my life. I drink water constantly, but could almost always use another glass. Whenever the kids want to do a "good deed" they know to bring me a glass of water. In fact, Sam is in the habit of bringing me a quart of water to drink before bed so I can make it through the night.

4. I feel like I'm focusing on all the negatives, but I must also mention (because I hope it will be nothing more than a distant memory soon) that this girl has has given me some nasty veins in my legs. I actually can't even look at them, but Sam has seen them and I think he is all ready to make me an appointment at the Laser Vein Institute if they don't clear up on their own.

5. I don't know if I have any real "cravings", but in the past I have eaten a ridiculous number of Granny Smith apples every day. I started out eating lots of apples this time around too, but I've discovered that this little one is really more of a citrus girl. An orange or grapefruit can do wonders for me sometimes.

6.  Just about everywhere I go I get lots of sympathy and "you look ready to go!" comments. (In fact I've been getting those for the past 2 months at least). A couple months ago at the mall, I was in the middle of telling Sam how I felt like a celebrity with all the attention this large belly gets when some very friendly women came up to me because they just had to know when I was due, since it looked like I was just about to pop! I had to disappoint (and amaze them) with the fact that I still had a couple months to go. I love it when I tell people how I'm not actually due any day yet and they say something like, "Are you sure about that?!!" Hmmmm...I can't keep track of everything while I am pregnant, but my due date is one of the thing I am usually on top of.

7. The kids are crazy excited about their new little sister, although for several months they were really pushing to name her Pippy Longstockings. Thankfully, they are past that.

8. Reed thinks it's so cool when he can see or feel her moving around in my belly and loves to be punched by her. He adores her already and thinks it's perfect that their birthdays will be so close.

9. Max is kinda freaked out about seeing my belly moving, but he absolutely loves her too--just from more of a distance. He is SO considerate of me and my larger size--always wanting to give me extra room and understanding when I'm not able to do everything I normally would. Just tonight while we were playing a game where I had to stand in the middle of them in a circle he said, "Let's all back up so Mom can have more room, because well...you know." He's also been known to say things like, "Oh...mom is definitely too big to do that!"

10. Ruby is mostly excited about the fact that she is going to be a big sister, and as such she will be the one to do everything for and teach everything to her little sister. She often tells me how "babies don't know anything" so she will have to teach her little sister everything (making a rainbow motion over her head as she says everything) She is also excited about having another female in the house. Whenever it's going to be just her and me going somewhere or doing something I trying to get her excited about it by saying it's, "girls...to...girls!!!" (Think softball team cheer style) to which she always says, pointing at my belly, "Don't you mean, 'girls to girls to girls'?" 

 Well, that's 10, so I better stop. So much for a "couple things"-- I guess I had 9 months worth of unrecorded thoughts to get out.  The end is officially in sight. We are all so excited to meet this little girl in a few weeks. Let the fun begin!

3 comments:

Monica said...

Your pictures are GORGEOUS!! You look FANTASTIC!! Glad you finally posted these because I know you will be grateful later on!

Robyn said...

You are so beautiful with that adorable belly!! Can't wait to meet her.

grandmother said...

I think all the pictures are great,because they do you justice. I want to make it perfectly clear when I say you don't take good pictures, I mean you do not come out as you really are (beautiful). I would like a copy of the full face picture. Full meaning "all" not "big", because the only big part of you is your belly - you still wearing your wedding ring attests to that. Happy you have recorded some of kid's comments and thoughts.