Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Ruby turned 4




Back in the midst of the holiday hoopla, Ruby turned 4. I think this is the first birthday she's had when I was actually sad she had hit the end of another year. I don't necessarily have a problem with her being four, it's just that I love three so much and being four is uncomfortably close to being five and that means all kinds of things that I'm not even ready to think about with her.

Ruby is keenly aware of her birth date and had been counting down the days for a month, however whenever I tried to probe her about what she'd like to do for her birthday she didn't have anything particular in mind besides having a turquoise cake. I prodded her several times, but when she didn't seem to be expecting anything else "party-wise" I decided to do myself a favor and keep things super simple. And that is just what we did.

Apparently, even the weather took notice for Ruby's big day and dumped enough snow the night before to give her the perfect start to her day...a two hour delay to for work for Sam and no school for the boys. We took advantage of the extra time and enjoyed a relaxed breakfast with our birthday girl.

Nothing starts a birthday right like "first-thing-in-the-morning" presents.



 After a quick wardrobe change into the outfit she received, it was time for breakfast. Ruby claimed she wanted cereal for her "special breakfast" (the girl does love cereal), but the boys convinced her she wanted monkey bread, so monkey bread we had--and homemade donuts from the night before since she had fallen asleep before they were done. Yes, that's an "R" shaped donut--only the best for our birthday girl.


Lunch was a...wait for it....Lunchable. I'm not sure when my kids will no longer think that is the most special lunch ever. At least it was easy. 

After lunch, the boys once again convinced her that what she really wanted to do was play Lego Star Wars with them. I would have been highly suspect of their motives except for the fact that they were probably right. She loves to be included in everything they do. I tell ya, that girl knows more about droids, troopers and "the force" than I can believe sometimes.

 The day before Ruby's birthday (while preparing dinner) I asked Ruby what she wanted for her birthday dinner. She looked at the meatballs I was making and requested those. I thought about it for a moment and then decided to just throw them in the freezer and keep them for the next day. Easiest birthday dinner ever. The bow bun she requested  for her hair was the most time consuming part of the preparation.

Time for cake!



Presents! I always love the gifts the kids give each other. Max almost gave Ruby a bunch of little green army men (which she probably would have liked), but I think he made the right choice with the doll.


Reed gave her a pink recorder, which was also perfect because she is always wanting to play his.


This was the moment she opened her eyes for the bike unveiling. After wanting nothing else for a whole year I think she was a little in awe that it was actually hers.

 The boys were almost just as excited about the gift as she was. She was equally pleased with the bike itself and her ability to ride a real bike. She did quite a few laps around the house before the night was over.  I don't know what was more adorable, seeing her beam as she rode around or hearing her say, "I can't believe I actually have a real bike!" on almost every lap.


Like I said, it was pretty low key, but I think for Ruby it was just right. She felt loved and celebrated and she should, because we really love that girl.

2 comments:

John Evelyn said...

No....grandmother said: Happy Birthday again Ruby! Oh Ruby, how come you are so cute and so smart? I know, because you're like your mom.

I really like the cake pictures, Lindsay, and the family fote even though Harlow wasn't looking forward. Good job on the streamer canopy, Sam. I think you should have a shelf in Ruby's room with Ruby's birthday hats all lined up.

John Evelyn said...

I also meant to say I just love how the boys were so into her birthday. I love the eagerness in their faces.