Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Boys...

I am so thrilled to have my little girl, but at the same time I am so grateful to have had my two boys first. Having only sisters I was very unaware of what little boys were like. I've learned a lot over the past 6 years as a mother to boys and I know I'm the better for it. I never dreamed I'd know so much about and enjoy cars, dinosaurs, ninjas, monsters and pretty much all things 'scary'.

I love Max's face in this picture. It may help to note that the title of this book is 'Big, Bad and a little bit Scary'.


Karate and boxing moves are commonplace in our home.


Race cars are a favorite...especially Lightning McQueen. The boys actually have a TON of very cool Hot Wheels that they got from my cousin Ricky's old collection. Cars might be one of the things I enjoy playing with them the most.


I can honestly say I have been to the park more as an adult than I ever went as a kid. My boys love to run around and be crazy at the park. Yesterday I took all three of my kids to the park by myself for the first time. It actually wasn't too bad (except for the fact that I was carrying Ruby the whole time). They quickly found a friend and happily played 'Ninjas'. From what I could tell 'Ninjas' is a lot like tag. After their fellow ninja left we went and checked out the snapping turtles and catfish. No pictures. I was afraid that if I tried to take a picture near the water while holding Ruby I would somehow drop her.

We also found a hopscotch someone had left behind.




And Reed found a metal bar for jumping off. I surprise myself sometimes with what I don't worry about.


Thankfully Max was satisfied to just enjoy the slide with his flip flops on the wrong feet. When I told him they were switched he said, "That's OK Mom, That's OK Mom." while nodding reassuringly at me. That is so Max.





On the walk back to the car the boys played "kick the cone" which not surprisingly means they tried to kick a pine cone all the way back. It did take us a little longer to make our way back, but at least I could tell that they've learned something at soccer.


It turned out too be a very hot day (so much for SPRING), so on the way home we stopped and got slushees. Max got blue, of course.


My boys may be crazier than the life I planned for, but they couldn't be cuter.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I am glad you don't freak out at some of the "dangerous" things they do. Boys need to try those things. Also, because her role models are brothers, you may be surprised at how much Ruby tries to do boy things. We'll see. I had very active, agressive girls, even though there was a great difference between them and the boys.

Robyn said...

I love those boys! Great job getting all three to the park by yourself:) Wish you were here to go to Disneyland with us!!! Miss you guys.