Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Reading and other random things...

I love reading to my kids. It is really one of the regular activities in my life that I enjoy the most. As much as I love it, however, I do get tired of reading the same books over and over again. Tonight as I was reading bedtime stories I decided to spice things up a little and read the book in a strong southern accent for my boys enjoyment as well as my own. I didn't get more than a few pages in before Max says, "Mom, why aren't you reading it the right way?" "Oh, you don't like my accent," I replied. I thought for sure Reed would back me since he's usually an advocate of all things silly; however, when I asked him if he liked it he said, "Ummm...no. It sounds like jazz."

It may not sound very funny, but the way the whole conversation (and my version of a southern accent) went down was quite funny--especially to me. I actually had a hard time keeping a straight face (and not using a southern accent) for the rest of the book. I may not enjoy my many repeat reads, but I do enjoy the time it gives me with my favorite boys.

Since my birthday is this month I thought I would try to blog every day this month again as a gift to myself since any record I keep is most meaningful to me. I already bombed on that goal, but I do have several picture from the past week or so. I wish I had time to record more, but a picture is better than nothing, right? Here are some of my favorite.

Max is enjoying the book that Reed is reading. His face is more a reaction to the subject matter (gross bugs) than the actual reading.


Then Max had to take his turn telling me how gross the dung beetle is. I totally agree, Max.


Ruby just being cute.


Max doing what he calls his "prayer jump".


My children (Reed actually more than Max) are not bothered by wearing their clothes backwards. How does that not drive him crazy??? Don't worry, I made him switch it around the right way after I took this picture.


We enjoyed a little family jump rope. Too bad no one documented Sam or I showing off our old school skills (my old school skills anyway--Sam assures me he did not jump rope in school).


"Mom, take a picture of me being a Cheetah!"


Ruby just being cute again. I guess I need to teach her some new tricks.


Apparently Max wants to jump on the record keeping wagon.


Well...that was certainly random and without too much information, but my other goal is to go to bed by 10:00. I already missed on my first goal so I guess I'll stop now and almost get 1 out of 2.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Very cute! Great start to a wonderful birthday month!! I would laugh too at your accent!:)

grandmother said...

Remember a picture is worth a thousand words, especially yours of your subjects (sounds weird, but you know what I mean), namely Reed, Max and Ruby.