Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Roly Poly Hunt

Last week Max was so sad one morning when our plans to go to a friend's house were canceled. He can do "sad" pretty cute (see below) so I was trying hard to think of another activity that he would be excited about instead.


I guess he was pretty determined to be sad because he turned down several ideas before his eyes finally lit up when I suggested we look for roly polys. He was so excited to show me the steps for catching roly polys.

He said, "First you have to scare them."


"Then you can pick up the ball."


"And then if they crawl away, you have to grab 'em"


We found lots of "babies", but Max really wanted to find the mama ones that he said were "this big".




What exactly do you do with roly polys once you catch them? Build a home for them of course. We filled a mason jar with dirt and leaves---everything our new pets could want. Later Max also thought they might like a little (or a lot) of water. ( I missed this addition), but when Sam came home he asked me why we had drowned a jar full of rolly pollys. Poor bugs.


In an effort to continue my resolution to be in more pictures I had Max take a picture of Ruby and me during our "hunt". He was excited to use the camera and was so proud of his picture. "I got you Mom!!....except for your head."

2 comments:

Robyn said...

What a fun activity! You are too cute Max!!

Whitney said...

I am so impressed with your photography skills, I can't wait for you to come to NYC.