Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Friday, March 4, 2011

Dinner is served

We are going on 3 weeks now of having our family split between two states. Sam is at work in Maryland all week and comes homes on the weekend. It has been a challenge, but to be honest it hasn't been as hard as I anticipated---until this week. I don't know if it was just unfortunate timing or just that the whole situation is starting to wear on me, but between 2 trips to the IRS office, 4 hours hanging out in a car wash lobby (painful, but worth it), a sick baby girl that doesn't feel good but doesn't' know what she wants (not a good start for reducing our trips to the Dr.) and an out of service dishwasher, this was a rougher week.

The rough week was in full swing by Thursday and after a trying afternoon dealing with a sick baby and boys that were not being as obedient as they should be, I was frustrated. Reed must have noticed my frustration because as I was sitting on the couch with a feverish and sleeping Ruby he came to me crying saying that he was sorry for making a bad decision. I wasn't even sure what he was referring to specifically, but I went along with it as he tearfully asked if he could do something to make it better. I was a little surprised at Reed's response because even though I'd like it to be, this is not his normal reaction. He told me that he wanted to make dinner for me and wanted to serve it to me on the couch so I could just rest and not do anything at all.

I wasn't sure what to think of this thoughtful behavior, but I was thrilled none the less. I don't know if this makes me a good mom or a bad mom, but I told him that that would be great and that I would love it if he would take care of dinner.

He and Max got straight to work bustling around the kitchen. It was so sweet to see the two of them working so well together. Within about 30 minutes dinner was served---literally. My two little servers delivered my food to me on the couch without me having to do a thing.


Our menu for the night consisted of of fish sticks, steak fries and frozen vegetables. I was actually quite impressed that they pulled it off. I even let them use the oven (I could see them from the couch so they weren't completely unsupervised) and nothing got burned (food or people).



They boys were so pleased with their work. And although I usually have a no-fish stick policy for myself, I wouldn't dream of disappointing such a thoughtful gesture. Together, Ruby and I ate them all and they actually weren't half bad.

It was a pretty great moment for Reed. I was very proud of him and consider it a huge stride in the right direction. Who knew fish sticks would be the highlight of my week?

Now if I could just get him to wash the dishes too...

4 comments:

Casey said...

That is one of the sweetest things ever. I just love your fmaily.

The Passey's said...

By far the sweetest thing I have ever heard. I LOVE your kids!

Unknown said...

Have I told you how much I think Reed looks like my dad at that age? (I probably have but have NO brain at all, so forgive me) Every time I come to your blog, I'm amazed. You'd have to see the pictures that Grandad has- I think there are some at the beach house even. I think he looks SO much like him.

I wish we lived closer. Our kids are close in age and would have SO MUCH fun with each other.

I love all of your pictures on here. I'd kill to be able to take such good photos of my kids.

Robyn said...

You have raised the sweetest boys! Great job! Hope this week is easier on all of you!!