Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ruby's Ears

The past 12 months or so of Ruby's life have been filled with more than her share of trips to the doctor. In fact a couple days ago I was going through some medical records and counted that she had had SEVENTEEN sick visits to the doctor in the past year. Those seventeen visits were in addition to the several "well visits" during her first year. I knew it felt like we were always going to the doctor, but now I realize we really were going all the time.

The vast majority of these visits were due to ear infections. Ruby inherited many wonderful things from Sam (let's just say those aren't my lips), but a tendency for ear infections was not one of them. After her 9th or 10th round of infection and antibiotics we decided it was time for tubes. I was a little nervous for the surgery, but mostly just excited for my little girl to get off the infection/antibiotics merry go round.

The hardest part was leaving her with the nurses, but she did great and within 20 minutes the procedure was done and they were bringing me back to wait with her while the anesthesia wore off. They told me it might be an hour before she woke up, but I guess not even drugs can keep my cat napper down. Within 10 minutes she was awake and ready to go.



I was hopeful that her surgery was going to be the happy ending to this past year of Dr. visits, but unfortunately she has already had two ear infections in the past month since getting the tubes. There is no doubt the tubes do help some. I just hope that " helps some" turns into "helps a lot" and that this next year we keep the number of doctor appointments to single digits.

5 comments:

Casey said...

I feel for you! Poor Ruby! I went through the same thing with Kayla, and she ended up getting tubes in her ears twice. I hope you have better luck.

McKay said...

Logan got ear infections all the time too. We had the tubes put in, and Logan hasn't had an infection since (it's been a few years now).

Chris said...

Oh man! I am sorry you've had more ear infections since her tubes. I have heard of them being re-done on kids before if they don't do the trick so let's hope she gets better and doesn't go through that!

Monica said...

Sorry I was signed in as Chris! Oops! ;o)

Robyn said...

Oh poor Ruby! She is still the cutest, happiest little girl ever!