Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Summer Vaction has arrived

Today was Reed's first official day of Summer vacation---ever. Since he had previously attended year round school we have never truly experienced a "summer vacation" with him. I have so many good memories of summer vacation as a kid and am looking forward to creating some new ones with him. I know it's only been one day, but already it is so nice to have him all mine again.

We started things off right today with an extra helping of muddy and wet. The weather cooperated beautifully giving us a close to perfect 78 degrees to enjoy outside. I know the perfection wont last so we plan to live it up outside while we can.


Everyone got it on the action.


I don't know who is more excited, Reed or Max, about Reed being out for the Summer. This is the look Max gave me when I asked if he enjoyed having Reed home all day. I think the is answer is pretty clear.

This past school year has been quite the journey for Reed. Just looking at these two photos from the first and then last day of 1st grade make my heart ache at the realization that my baby boy is becoming more and more of a distant memory. He has grown up a lot this year and while I do enjoy the new stage it's hard to think that another stage is ending. Just the other day as we were getting in the car Max was trying to buckle up and very sweetly and kindly (and sadly somewhat uncharacteristically in the afternoons for him) asked Reed to please move so he could reach his seat belt. Reed immediately scooted out of the way (the immediacy was also sadly a bit unexpected for the 'right before dinner' time as well). I was so pleased that I couldn't let the moment pass without comment. I said, "Did you see how sweetly Max asked you to move, Reed?" "And Max did you see how quickly Reed moved to give you room." Wasn't that wonderful? " Without hesitation Reed piped in, "And did everyone see how mom was so quick to compliment both Max and I so we would both feel proud of ourselves." I couldn't help put laugh. He got me.

First day of 1st grade Last day of 1st grade



This is the only picture I have from his 1st grade experience at New Market Elementary. He was only there for 6 weeks and I'd be lying to say it was smooth sailings. He mostly worked it out, but I think he and I are both looking forward to a little more stability in 2nd grade.

Reed and his "narrator" puppet. On one of the last days of school we got to come and watch his class preform their puppet shows. Reed was the narrator and I must say did a marvelous job. The boy does have a flare for the dramatic and this time it served him well.

So long 1st grade... hello Summer vacation. Looking forward to making it the best ever.

No comments: