Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Thursday, February 23, 2012

All I've got

For the past little while, Ruby has been obsessed with babies. It started with baby dolls, but then quickly expanded to all things small. If there is ever anything smaller then the rest of the items, she desperately wants it. A smaller than average grape is now a baby grape and must belong to her. A broken crayon nub is now a baby crayon and little battleship pegs are a bunch of red and white babies. Recently she has taken it up a notch and frequently wants to be a baby. She wants me to wrap her up in a blanket like a baby, rock her like a baby, and even found an old baby bottle that she likes to tote around. I mostly appease her because she is my baby and getting to snuggle her is no chore, however I did have to draw the line when she said she wanted to get back in my belly.

Her newest request is that I tell her something about when she was a baby. I don't mind this either--that is, I didn't mind until I realized how little I could remember about her babyhood without stopping to think about things I had posted. It was actually shocking as I tried to reach for something to add and I couldn't. I expect this a little more when Reed asks me to pull something from almost 8 years ago, but from 2 years ago?? I was terribly disappointed in my memory and even more grateful for the memories I have recorded. I felt a commitment once again to record something about our life as often as I can, since apparently it's disappearing faster than I planned. So here I go, trying again to be a little more consistent about recording something--anything about our life. I'm not going to worry about how long ago it happened or how seemingly insignificant. If I can remember it now, it's recordable.

These pictures are from so long ago, they might even work the next time Ruby requests a "baby story". Here's one more for my "baby" Ruby.

Last Summer I was starting to worry about Ruby because her speech did not seem to be progressing like I expected, so one day, after playing Scrabble Slam with Reed, we decided to use the letter cards to practice different sounds with Ruby. She wasn't into it at all, refusing to repeat any of the sounds I offered her. I was ready to call it a day until Reed asked if he could try. He did and she repeated every sound. Little stinker. I should have known then that this girl would enjoy giving me a hard time.

Reed of course thought it was pretty funny.


Actually, after a while I think he started to feel a little bit bad that she was so eager to preform for him and not me.









My memory may be prematurely failing me, but that's not going to stop me from trying to do my best to hang on to what I have. Here is one more memory that's all mine.

1 comment:

John Evelyn said...

Well good, i am glad. Sure wish I would have recorded something. Maybe i should start now. I remember when you were three or four, you were writing your alphaabet a, b, c, etc.; but when you got to l,m,n,o, you wanted to know how you write an elemeno? Well that's my memory for the day.