Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Kiawah Island Marathon

Running a marathon has always been one of my secret goals. It wasn't even one I liked to acknowledge to myself too often because I really didn't know if I had it in me or not. I am a huge goal setter, but I'm also prone to huge disappointment if I can't accomplish them, so sometimes admitting that I really want something is the hardest part for me.

In fact, two years ago when I ran a half marathon I convinced myself that was my "marathon" experience and that I would never want to run a full marathon...because that would just be pure craziness. However, after the Ragnar race when Suzie called me and told me she was thinking about doing a marathon, I knew this was my once in a lifetime chance and signed up on the spot.

I didn't know what I was getting into at the time, but I'm so glad I did. I don't know if I'm prouder of the fact that I completed the marathon or that I completed the training. It was a huge commitment and without a supportive husband it would not have been possible.

As hard as the training was, the real hurdle came a couple weeks before the race when Suzie called to tell me that, due to a running injury, she would not be able to do the race. They always say that marathon training is half physical and half mental. I felt like I was doing all right with the physical part, but all of my faith in my mental endurance was relying on being able to run with Suzie. I've run enough with her to know that as long as she keeps moving (and talking), so can I. With this new development I was stressed to say the least, but I also knew that quitting, at that point, was not an option.

Thankfully, I did have Heidi to count on for the first half of the marathon, as she would be running the half marathon portion of the race.


For those Where's Waldo fans, here is the start of the race. We're there somewhere...I think.


With Heidi, the first half of the race truly flew by. It felt much more like hanging out and catching up with an old friend than running 13.1 miles.

See...don't we looking like we are in the middle of a demanding endurance race. I hate to include an "eyes closed picture"--they make me feel like I'm caught in an awkward moment forever--but I wanted to be sure I remembered how much fun the first half was with Hedi.


I loved Sam and his signs and really enjoyed being able to see him 3 or 4 times along the route. He cheered me on while eating Sun Chips and donuts on the sidelines. I appreciated it more than he knows...the signs and cheering that is...watching him eat chips and donuts not so much.


Sam definitely earned his Husband of the Year award through this whole experience.


The only real goal I had for the race was that I wanted to run the whole thing. I was so worried about stopping that I wouldn't even stop at the water stations, but instead ran right through with my drinks. It was a little sloppy, but I'm happy to say that it worked and I never stopped once.


Knowing I wasn't going to have Suzie to keep me going, I came up with a plan that I thought would help in case I started to lose steam on my own. I had Suzie and my family leave messages on our voicemail that Sam could then download onto my Ipod to listen to along the way. It was surprisingly encouraging just hearing the phone ring all night before we left for the race. Unfortunately, there was a technical problem and the messages wouldn't play on my Ipod. I was definitely bummed, but I still enjoyed listening to them after the race. I loved them all and it actually turned out to be one of the more memorable parts of the whole experience for me.


I may not have had my ipod messages, but we did have Rastafarians to keep us going. They were actually pretty awesome. Obviously Sam enjoyed them too since he took almost as many pictures of them as he did of me.


When I passed the 25-mile marker I actually started to tear up a little at the thought that I was actually going to be able to do this. I certainly wasn't breaking any speed record--the whole thing took me 5 hours and 13 seconds (13 seconds...really??????? why?), but I can honestly say I enjoyed the whole thing. I kept waiting to hit the "wall" I've heard so much about, but I never did. It certainly wasn't easy, but it always felt doable. The last stretch of the race, I was even able to kick it up a notch and sprint to the finish (and pass several people in the process I might add.)



Crossing the finish line.


If I look a little glassy eyed, like I'm about to pass out, it's because I really felt like I might. I felt great throughout the whole race, but when I finally stopped at the end my body didn't know what to do.


Finishing the marathon was an amazing feeling. I felt proud of myself in a way I hadn't felt in a very long time...and it felt great. Normally my proud-of-myself moments come from things like having every article of clothing in the house clean or making a batch of cookies with the kids and only eating one. This was a whole different level.

That feeling was only topped later that evening when I arrived back home to this:






I read once that you can't do a second marathon until you forget you first one. I must have a short term memory because after such a great experience I'm already ready for another.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

So cool! Good for you Linds--you forgot to mention how AMAZINGLY skinny you are because of all that running too. So much to be proud of yourself for. I actually just signed up for two races and just started training for them. Yesterday I ran cul de sac laps to get in my run. Haha! 3.5 miles of my cul de sac!

Monica said...

Maybe we should plan to do one together and then I would actually get my training started again!

John Evelyn said...

Never stopping, that it is pretty amazing to me. Even though I don't understand the disire to run a marathon, I am very proud of you.
It's great when we do hard things.

Heidi said...

You better be ready for another! You have a couple people counting on your wisdom and experience to get them through one ;)

The B Family said...

Hey there! Came across your blog through the Kiawah Island Marathon post on FB. Love your story! I am running the half (my second half after having only run 1 year now) in Kiawah this year. It will be more of an emotional run for me since I haven't been back since we stayed there almost five years ago when our daughter was in the hospital at MUSC/Charleston. She went to Heaven just two months later. God has blessed us with two precious boys...one younger than her and one older. I ended up reading more on your blog and just love your photography! I do a little of it myself but just adore the way you have documented your family in photos. What gifts! Thanks for sharing!