Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Friday, September 20, 2013

Labor Day

Non-Saturday days off don't happen often enough, so when one does roll around I always have a million ideas of how we should spend it. This past Labor Day was no different, and with the crazy football schedule we've been keeping the free time seemed even more valuable.  I had been tossing around a few to-do list items along with some family outing ideas, but when Sam mentioned that the temple was going to open for a few hours that morning I knew it was an opportunity not to be missed. I still can't be away from Harlow for too long and with the temple an hour away having Sam and the kids come and hang out while I did a session seemed like a great plan even if it wasn't what I had originally envisioned for our day off.

I love our drive to the temple...at least the first part.  So picturesque.

Ruby didn't seem as impressed with the scenery, but seemed pretty content with her book.

I was excited to go to the temple, but I was even more excited to bring the kids along too. We were so spoiled in North Carolina to see the temple every week since our chapel and the Raleigh temple share a parking lot.



Sam was so great to take the kids on stroller/bike ride while they waited for me. Afterwards I met them at the visitor center before we enjoyed a walk on the temple grounds together.



 I'm not sure what I said to my kids here, but I'm guessing it wasn't "Say Cheese!" It looks like something more like "What is the square root of 5,984?" Seriously....what were they all thinking?



 Even Harlow looks a little bit perplexed..(Gotta love her skunk hair)

This is a little more like it. I sure love these kids.

Sweet Max.


The kids spent a while in the Visitor's Center waiting for me and really enjoyed some of the new media presentations. I must say, I'm pretty impressed with some of the teaching tools they have there. Even when I was done the kids wanted to stay and finish the lessons. It definitely made me more motivated to find a friend to invite there.

Happy girl. Sam said she was perfect while I was gone.

The kids were all wiped out on the ride home.

The one disappointment from our morning adventure was that Sam and the kids did not make it to McDonald's early enough for the breakfast I had promised them. Reed was especially bummed about not getting a McGriddle so I told him we would make our own for dinner. It was a little on the labor intensive side (we had to make our own syrup crystals to put in the pancakes??!), but it was worth it. Not only were they ever better than the originals, but Reed was pretty happy about the whole thing too. 

I don't know what this face is all about...I promise, he loved it.

Max loved them too so I really don't remember what his face of anguish was all about. I've got to include it though because these mini meltdowns are part of our reality. The fact that I have no clue what it was about it also part of reality and not just me trying to forget the not so fun stuff. While Max can get upset at the drop of a hat he can also be over it equally quick. 
Despite the fact that none of the kids appear too thrilled in these pictures, our delicious McGriddles where the perfect end to the perfect Labor Day.

We didn't really have time for much else after dinner, but I can't think of the last holiday that I felt went as well. I am so grateful to be able to attend the temple and hope that my kids were also able to feel the Spirit and importance of that place while they were there. I was going to say that this was the best Labor Day ever, but then I remembered that Sam and I went on our first date on Labor Day so now I'm not so sure. Looks like I may have a new favorite holiday.

1 comment:

grandmother said...

Happy belated Labor Day! Looks like it was a wonderful day. I don't even remember what we did. Great pictures of everyone and everything. Is that the official Dickson jump? Wonder when the boys will out jump Sam.