Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Monday, September 23, 2013

Sisters

One of the most wonderful things about having another child is watching new "forever friendships" develop between the new baby and her older siblings. With Harlow, the boys had an instant bond. From the moment I brought her home, they were enamored by her presence, proud of her every achievement, and looked out for and protected her with a fierceness known only to older brothers.

Ruby, on the other hand, has always treated Harlow kindly, but has never seemed quite as impressed with her. In fact, sometimes I have wondered if her affection towards Harlow was more an effort to keep up with the boys than a display of true adoration for her sister. I love my sisters and hoped I was wrong about her motives. I think I am. 

The other day as we sat down to read books, I had to answer the phone. When I returned I noticed something I hadn't before, so I sat back and watched something begin to blossom right before my eyes. I hate to sound dramatic, but it was pretty close to magic to me.  (I am their mother after all. Everything they do is at least 100 times more meaningful to me than just about anyone else.) Luckily the camera was handy--and yes, I took so many pictures it almost feels like it was on time lapse mode.

A happy Harlow waiting patiently for my return.

 When I did return, she didn't even notice me at first. This joy is being caused by someone else.

Harlow is a happy girl, but this is extra happy, even for her.

Those smiles all belong to Ruby.

Then she notices me...

but not for long.


I love Ruby's face in this picture. It says it all.



My favorite.







I think this is one of the first times Ruby felt a real friendship connection with Harlow. She is beginning to see her as something more than just a cute little novelty that hangs out with us a lot, but instead as the playmate, companion, and friend for life that she is and will become.

1 comment:

grandmother said...

Lindsay, I think that you are the best blogger there is. Love your commentary and pictures. My favorite pics are the first one ( I like the light on Harlow.)and your favorite.