Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Loose Teeth

I will blame my false start to catching up on technical difficulties, a sick baby girl and the fact that it is really hard to remember details of things that happened 2 months ago! Even so, I am not going to give up. These past two months included some land mark events in our family and I would not be able to forgive myself if I just skipped them completely so here we go...

After years of waiting, wiggling and edging closer and closer to his 7th birthday, Reed finally lost a tooth. He had been working on his lower left front tooth for months without any luck until the morning of November 18 (wow--I am really behind!) when while eating oatmeal it was finally ready. He wanted to pull it out on his own, but he just couldn't quite get himself to do it.



While agonizing over how to get his dangling tooth out Sam told Reed that he was just going to "dry" his tooth off with a paper towel so he could get a better grip.


Reed agreed to the "drying" and Sam, with a little bit of force, got the job done. After it was out Reed told Sam, "I knew you were going to do that."


After the tooth popped out I thought Reed would be ecstatic, but instead he spent the first few moments after his loss quietly digesting what had just occurred, almost afraid to open his mouth.






Thankfully after just a moment or two he was over the shock of it all and happy as can be.

This landmark day was only made bigger and better that afternoon when he leaped off the school bus with a tooth necklace around his neck. (the plastic kind you can put a tooth in). I assumed he had shared his exciting news at school and received the necklace to bring home to put his tooth in, but I was surprised instead to find out that he had actually lost ANOTHER tooth that very same day at school. After almost 7 years of waiting, having TWO teeth fall out on the same day has to be some kind of record. Needless to say it was a good day for Reed and a busy night for the Tooth Fairy.

Reed giving me his new toothless smile...or at least the look he gave me when I asked for one.

1 comment:

grandmother said...

Well I clicked on just to reread the last entry, not expecting more.
Happy Day! I do not believe too many children have the loss of their 1st tooth documented so well.
Good job! Reed, are they new teeth almost in?