Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Thursday, May 26, 2011

What am I waiting for?

The other day I was unpacking some more boxes and came across the book that Sam had put together for my birthday last year of all of the posts on our blog from the month I posted something every day. It was a sad and happy find. Although it has only been about a year the things I read about our life "back then" made me so happy. There was really nothing extraordinary that I had recorded and I loved that. It really did help me remember what life was like last year. The sad part came when I realized how many sweet (and now forgotten) moments I've let slip by. I feel like I keep waiting for just the right night when I have nothing else to do. If these past few months are any indication of what my life is going to be like, a night with "nothing to do" is not going to happen anytime soon. Instead I'm going to try to not worry about having enough time and instead just try to get in the habit of jotting down random things about our life no matter how small or silly.

Reed has a lisp--for now at least. A few days after moving into our new house Reed lost both of his front teeth. He had been letting them "dangle" for waaay too long, looking like some kind of crazy pirate, so it was a welcome change when they finally came out. It's so funny to hear him talk since ever since he was small he has always spoken very clearly. It's certainly a new look for him and further evidence that my boy is really growing up. (I totally know what my mom is talking about now when she would say she wanted to "freeze" us at different stages of life.) Reed is very freezable right now--missing teeth and all.


I think the tooth-fairy has a thing for origami because this time Reed received his dollar bill as a ring. It wasn't until the afternoon that I was aware that he had worn it all day at school, looking like the child of a rapper.


The other day I sent Max upstairs to put on some socks. After several minutes had passed with no sound or sight of him I decided I needed to go check on and prod him along. When I got to his room I found him still without socks, but instead wearing 4 shirts. "This one is my fast shirt. (it has stripes and he thinks that it makes him look like one big blur when he runs)" , this brown shirt matches my brown pants, this shirt is the shirt I already had on, and this one has a hood in case it rains." Then, as he started to sweat, he looked out the window and said, "It's probably not going to rain," and immediately removed that layer. The whole thing was very serious to him and I tried not to let him know how ridiculous it was. More than anyone, Max knows how to push my buttons (and enjoys doing so), but I do adore his silly logic and will be sad when it's not apart of our daily life.



Ruby is currently going through a major growth spurt, not so much physically, but in most every other way. It's like she woke up one day and said, "Oh..I think I get this whole family life thing" and has decided to leave the baby role behind for full-fledged family membership. I could go on and on about how she has grown up so much lately, but in an effort to finish this post (and not appear to show favoritism) here is just one or maybe two things about her right now.

She insists on loading and unloading the silverware by herself. I love that she wants to contribute so I don't even mind that our silverware drawer ends up looking like this...




Meal time in general is a big deal for Ruby especially since she started sitting at the table and not just near us in her high chair. And don't even think about eating without praying around this little girl. Watching her sit at the table with her arms folded waiting for us is just about the cutest thing she does right now.


Phew I did it...back in the swing of things again...kinda.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh, I love your posts! You make "across the country" not so far. Ruby looks so grown up. I wish I could come tomorrow to see you!

Ashley said...

I'm going to join you in your goal. Especially since I don't want to miss anything in my new little one's life.
Thanks for the reminder.

Whitney said...

The praying picture of Ruby is real cute. I can't believe how old she looks.

Fernando Solis Eguiza said...

El NiƱo Y Tu Pilin