Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Independence Weekend

I know the 4th of July was a couple weeks ago now, but since this is the only record I have of my life I'm not going to worry about that. Thirty years from now I wont care how behind I was. I'll just be glad that I did it.

Independence Day was much more than one day for us this year. We really tried to make the most of it and celebrate all weekend long. We started off the festivities with a Ward breakfast. It was nice to continue getting to know our new ward and enjoy the patriotic program. Unfortunately, we packed our morning a little tight and had to basically rush straight from that to a bike parade at a farmers' market. We were running a little late and arrived just as the bike parade was heading out. Watching the parade take off without them was a less than perfect way to start the activity. Thankfully, the parade did make another loop so the boys were able to join for the second round. Sadly this didn't solve the problem for Max who was pretty disappointed in the parade route, "This isn't a parade--it's just an oval!"

Reed was happy to ride around the booths checking things out in his Americana wear. Silly little side note: Reed has always loved patriotic clothes---and not just for the 4th of July. He really loves anything that has to do with the flag, USA paraphernalia, etc. He was very disappointed to discover that the American flags we just purchased were, in fact, made in China. I think it's very cute he has so much USA pride. When we went looking for something festive to wear he wanted to find the most red and white and blue things possible. I think he succeeded.


Max, however wouldn't have anything to do with the "parade".



Luckily, Ruby was mostly just cute and oblivious to any parade drama.


The event was looking to be a complete bust (especially when they started giving out awards to those who had officially signed up for the parade--we hadn't) until someone in charge saw our sad, teary eyed little group and (I believe) gave us an impromptu "most unique" award...since we were actually on scooters in a bike parade. Very unique indeed. It was a stretch, but it worked especially when it included tokens to get a free ice cream cone at a local ice cream shop.


After the parade we headed to the ice cream shop where everyone felt much better. Our biggest problem here was choosing a flavor. I've never seen 24 flavors of soft serve.




I'm sure it was Ruby who ended up with most ice cream. She couldn't decide which flavor she liked the best so she made sure to take a turn with all of them.


On Sunday Ruby was the only really festive one, wearing a little sailor dress that had once been mine. It has been passed on and enjoyed by all the other little girls in my family so it was extra special to have Ruby getting her turn. She was pretty adorable.



On the actual 4th of July we went to Virginia to meet up with some old friend, the Fifes and Phelps, from our old ward in Provo. It was great to catch up and see how our lives have changed and stayed the same in so many ways. The additional 9 children between us had a pretty great time to running around together too. I didn't bring my camera, so I don't have so much as a blurry firework picture to document the event, but it was pretty great.

No comments: