Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sports Boys

When I was pregnant with Reed the first article of clothing we ever purchased was a pair of overalls from Baby Gap with a little football player embroidered on them. This was a bit of a bold purchase, since at that point I wasn't sure if we were having a girl or boy. I just had a "feeling". I didn't know much about boys, but I did know Sam, and I knew that if he had anything to do with it our boy would be athletic.

When Reed was born at a hefty 9 lbs. 7 oz. I figured college football was certainly in his future. Reed wasn't just heavy as a baby he was also quite strong. He loves for me to re-tell the story of when I took him to the doctor for his 3 month appointment. When the nurse attempted to give him his shots she struggled to pull his leg straight and said, "This boy is as strong as an ox.".

Despite his strong start to life, the start of his athletic career was a little weaker. T-ball didn't interest him at all, soccer was marginal, and after a somewhat emotional basketball season I worried that maybe this wasn't going to be his thing (I feel like a terrible mother even saying something so pigeon-holey about my SEVEN-year-old boy). I am only OK with this admission because I can immediately admit that I was wrong.

Reed recently finished up a basketball class and I was amazed at what a difference a few months had made. He was no longer on the sidelines waiting for someone to pass him the ball---he was going after it. He was stronger and more consistent with his shots. He was so much more confident, competent, and really starting to coming into his own athletically.


I think all Reed needed was more experience and a lot more confidence. I am happy to acknowledge that he is well on his way in both areas.




This was Max's first time doing basketball and he was beyond thrilled. After watching from the stands for a whole season, he was ready to get into the action. And into the action he did get.


Max was in heaven playing a real basketball game...


I guess my initial intuition was better than I thought. I don't know about college football but if things continue in this direction I'm sure there'll be plenty of "real" games in our future.

No comments: