Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Dressing Drama

I used to love getting Ruby dressed in the morning. It used to be the highlight of my day. She used to let me put her in whatever my little heart desired no matter how silly or impractical. Even at the time I knew those days were numbered--I just didn't know how small that number was. These days dressing Ruby is a task both Sam and I dread. She is soooo particular about what she will and will not wear, and 9 times out of 10 what she insists on wearing is a ridiculous combination of mismatch items that usually include a variety of pajama pieces, sweats, and one of only a few old shirts. She is definitely going through her grunge period. It pains me to see cute little ruffly rompers go unworn in her drawer while my only daughter walks out the door looking like she just rolled out of Punky Brewster's bed. I know I'm the mom and I have tried forcing my clothing choices on her, but, in the end, I find that it is usually not worth the tears that are inevitable when trying to reason with a stubborn girl who is not yet 2 and who still uses non-verbal communication as her primary dialect.

So, a couple weeks ago, when she insisted on her bathing suit, her cake shirt (her most favorite right now), bloomers that go with her purple skirt, and her striped socks (she is a big sock lover ever since her traumatic foot injury--why haven't I blogged about that? Oh wait, I know--that is something I don't want to remember.) I was happy. For a few hours of one day, Ruby and I were on the same fashion page.


Can you see the adoration she has for Max?


Sam thinks this picture is a classic.


Yes, I think Ruby looks cute, but these next two pictures are all about Reed.


I said we were on the same fashion page...we obviously weren't on the same page for everything.


Until our fashion paths meet again Ruby...thanks for one cute pick.

2 comments:

Monica said...

I love that you referenced Punky Brewster! LOL I used to LOVE her! I have actually tried to find PB paper dolls like I had on ebay but no such luck! LOL So CUTE!!

grandmother said...

Well at least she lets you comb her hair. Remember what I have always said, "Hair is more important than outfit."