Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Lazy days at home

Sometimes I really think I'd like to home school my kids. I do love to teach them, but I think what I'm really looking for is to just have them home more to be with them without a hundred different tasks, obligations and demands on our time and attention. Unfortunately, a life like that is not reality and in fact would not good or desirable for anyone. Having "lazy days" at home are most enjoyed when they are not the normal because then they can truly be appreciated. That is exactly how I feel about random days off of school. Those "teacher work days" are my favorite as they act like a much needed pause button on our life sometimes. 

A couple months ago, we got lucky and got one of those "pause button" opportunities in the form of two days off from school on one of the last warm beautiful days before it turned bitter cold on us. On the second day off we enjoyed the unusually warm weather at Gaver's Farm, but on the first day we just stayed home--and it was perfect.

Sometimes these stay-at-home days produce a ton of pictures and sometimes it is just a few random ones. This was definitely the later, but worthwhile none the less. Interestingly, most of them are of Harlow who is home everyday, but when you are the baby of the family, you give adorable funny faces and insist on feeding yourself, your baby doll and your hair yogurt--you're going to get your picture taken.

She doesn't give this look nearly as often as she used to, so I'm glad I got it when I did.

 Harlow has absolutely insisted on feeding herself from before she was one year old. She's gotten pretty good, but from the looks of her baby doll, feeding others is still foreign territory.

She did a much better job keeping her own face clean.


My little dare devil does this way too often for me to have a heart attack anymore. She's got pretty great balance...

and she loves it, so I let her.

She takes her acrobatics seriously.

 After a non-rushed breakfast the kids launched right into building an IKEA bookshelf for Harlow's closest. We discovered this summer that putting together IKEA furniture is very similar to following Lego building instructions, except waaay more useful to me. They kids love and it are pros are getting it done together.


 Everyone likes to get in the assembly action. Amazingly enough, we have yet to lose even one screw. (Oh, how I love that blonde hair of hers.)


Hard at work. 

I love to see these boys working together. Is is any wonder why these days are my favorite?

1 comment:

John Evelyn said...

I think it's amazing they can put together furniture. You should hire them out. Too bad the Lamberts aren't close, they would gladly have Reed, Max and Ruby build their furniture. You were a climber like Harley, but I think I only have 1 or 2 pics of you showing your daredevil skill. So again good for you for photographing and journaling about your family.