Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Progress not Perfection

Tonight at Enrichment one of the classes we had was on goal setting. The teacher gave us 2 minutes to write down 5 goals that we had for life and then challenged us to choose one and make at least one baby step towards achieving it. At the end of her lesson she touched on the role of failure in goal setting and said that personally, she did not believe in failure. Instead, she reminded us that it is not perfection we are looking for, but progress. I think too often I get hung up on perfection and don't make any progress. Sometimes I get so stuck on wanting to do something just so, that I end up doing nothing. Unfortunately keeping a record of this family of mine is one of those things. I never seem to have the time, but what I really mean is that I don't have time to do it exactly the way I want. So tonight even though I'm very tired and have no lovely pictures to include, I have decided to let progress win over perfection.

Today as I was running out the door, trying to make it to the gym before a  RS planning meeting, I had to run back into the house (as I often do) to grab something I had forgotten. As I did, I noticed that Reed's school folder was lying on the couch.  It is certainly not the first thing he's left at home--not even the first things this week so I was a little frustrated that was going to mean a change in plans for me.  I knew right away that the gym was out and a stop at the school was in. I quickly changed my clothes, hopped into the car and was in the school office within a few minutes waiting for Reed to meet us in the lobby.  We only waited a moment or two before Reed came bounding down the  hall with a smile on his face. He cheerfully took the folder and then related to me how when he had realized that he had left his folder at home he had prayed that I would find it and bring it to him. Any feelings of frustration I had for him forgetting his things (again) vanished as I saw his eyes glowing with the joy that comes when you know your prayer has been answered.  His eyes weren't the only ones glowing. I was so thankful that I had been blessed to  be apart of this little miracle.in his life. I am so grateful for the faith of children, especially the faith of my child who was quick to pray for help and grateful for answers when they came.

Random phone picture of Reed after his Winter Band Concert.  Progress, not perfection, right?



1 comment:

John Evelyn said...

So glad you recorded the lesson you learned and the answer to Reed's prayer. The teacher was so right. I listened to a talk that was titled something like, "Perfection the Enemy to Progression". Glad you threw in pic of handsome Reed,too.