Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Medieval Times

I have secretly wanted to go to Medieval Times for most of my life. (When you are 35, you can say things like that and not be speaking in hyperbole.) Ever since I saw the commercials on TV as a kid I've been curious to know what it was really like. So when Max's birthday was rapidly approaching, as it always seems to--arriving less than two weeks after Christmas, I had an idea. Without fail, just as I'm taking a breath after several weeks of Christmas craziness, his birthday arrives and punches me in my "I-need-to be-a- more-organized-mom" face. This year, I was determined to not  give my "middle child" the last minute, after-thought of a celebration he often gets and asked Max if he'd like to  celebrate at Medieval Times. He, of course, was elated at the suggestion.

He was elated at the suggestion, but I really don't know if he knew what he signing up for. As the theatrical portion of the show began he kept asking me what time it was. He knew how long the performance was supposed to be and was sure he had figured out what time they had to start the actual combat. "Constantly calculating" is very much a "Max" thing.

When the jousting did begin, it did not disappoint. The kids were enthralled.


 Ruby enjoyed the performances as well (although, she would hardly touch the food). Only the hand to hand combat action at the end had her burying her face in her back of her seat.

Harlow loved watching the horses, but after about 30 minutes she was ready to get out of the dark ages. It made for an evening of tired arms for Sam and I, but not enough to keep it from still being an enjoyable night. 

In fact, I think it was s a great night. Max felt celebrated, I was able to put to rest 25 years of curiosity and Sam came home with enough leftover meat, untouched by our crew, to last a week.


1 comment:

John Evelyn said...

Glad Max felt celebrated and you finally got to Medieval Times and glad you posted it on your blog. So was it what you expected? In 3 years you will move out of having a "young family", and you'll go into another stage of your life. so it is really good you are recording as much as you do.