Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Ninjas

A couple months ago we randomly checked out a Teenage Mutant Turtle book from the library and our lives haven't been the same since. Reed already had an interest in ninjas, but learning about the teenage mutant turtle variety transformed his interest into something that as Reed says, "we are really into" (using air quotes and all--love that boy). We play TMNT (as it is always abbreviated by Reed) and regular ninjas as well. I personally prefer the later, but I am accommodating to both. Thankfully there are just enough main characters for each of us to always have a part. Phew! Reed is Raphael, Max is Leonardo, Sam is Donatello, I am Michelangelo and of course Ruby is Master Splinter. We are often fighting Hun and his foot ninjas, but I think my favorite 'bad guy" has been Lady Gaga. We took care of her.

Here are the boys dressed up as real ninjas. The cutest ninjas I've ever seen.




Ninja play isn't reserved for the home. When Reed reports to me about his day at school it almost always includes doing his own ninja training at recess. I'm not sure exactly what this entails, but I do know that there are different levels including Jr. Ninja, and Super Ninja. Today he told me he can now do a Ninja jump off the side of the slide. He said it was a little scary, but then smiled and said, "I thank my lucky stars that I have hands to catch me." It's so typical of Reed to try out new phrases that he has read in a book. I'm pretty sure Ninjas don't "thank their lucky stars."

Max is also pretty passionate about the whole ninja thing. I woke up early one morning to find him in the living room (we are talking pre-dawn early) drawing, coloring and cutting out the whole TMNT crew to tape up on the bar. It was so cute, I haven't yet had the heart to take it down.




I don't know how long this latest phase will last, but we'll enjoy it while it does. Cowabunga!!!

4 comments:

grandmother said...

Very cute. I would like to spy on Reed at recess and see his ninja antics. Max sure can draw for his age.

Nancy said...

What a good mother you are! I would like to see you being Michaelangelo.

Robyn said...

Very cute!

Lindsay Dickson said...

Great because I like "Ninjas