Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Monday, September 13, 2010

Our LONG and WONDERFUL trip

A couple weeks ago we returned from a long and wonderful trip to Utah and Idaho. It was just shy of two weeks, but with three young children that's just about as long as I go (hmmm...except for the almost 3 week long trip to California we have planned in December! Yikes!) It was busy and fun-filled, which was great, but that also means I have a ton of pictures and memories I'd like to record. I had intended to record along the way, but I can honestly say there wasn't a single night during our time away that I didn't crash into bed completely exhausted. Like I said there was lots of fun---not as much sleep. It's no wonder it took us almost a full week to recover once we returned. Because I have so much to record I have decided to just record a few events from the trip each day so I don't get overwhelmed and give up before I start.

Our trip began with a three-leg flight from Raleigh to Chicago, from Chicago to Houston and Houston to Salt Lake. When we got to Houston, Reed stepped off the plane and said, "Hmm...this isn't what I expected Texas to be like."

For as young as they are my boys have been lucky enough to travel quite a bit and are pretty good fliers. I love how they so intently study the air passenger safety guide on board and make plans for how they will slide out of the plane in case of an emergency. They take it all very seriously--especially Max, who really wants to see the oxygen masks come out of the ceiling.

Our three flights made for an all-day affair--thankfully our kids love airports.


Max got all kinds of comments at the airport from passersby who thought he and his gigantic backpack were pretty funny.


Sam is our family pack mule. His load is pretty light in this picture, but I have seen him carry up to 8 suitcases at one time. ( I believe that instance included him balancing a car seat on his head as well.) Thanks to Sam we were able to minimize our luggage fees by carrying 8 pieces on board.)


Ruby was definitely the most difficult traveler. She is just old enough to not want to sit still on our laps, but not quite old enough to be entertained by travel activities and books. Sam said that just looking at her on the airplane made his arms hurt. Thankfully we had some pretty good layovers that gave her a chance to roam and be free.


It was a long day for sure, but still a good one, surrounded by my most favorite people in the world.

2 comments:

grandmother said...

Thank you for the smile and laugh, just what I need before I go to bed. But I am wondering "Why the face, Sam? You are carrying only 3 in the picture. I was a witness of you carrying tons of luggage while balancing a carseat on your head and I believe you were smiling then."

McKay said...

That picture of Sam is just sooooo precious.

(As usual, all the photos are awesome. Good work.)