Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Monday, May 3, 2010

First Swim

Wow...so much for "back on track." This past week wasn't the best. I underestimated how much "sick" Ruby still had left in her and I overestimated how healthy I would stay while taking care of her without a sufficient amount of sleep. Neither Ruby or I (or the rest of my family for that matter) are completely healthy yet, but we are very hopeful for a better week ahead.

I tried to finish this post three or four different times last week, but it just was not going to happen. This is a little outdated now, but still something I want to remember so here we go again.

Ruby went for her first swim last Friday. It has been blazing hot here in North Carolina (way too hot for the beginning of May). I didn't know how she would react since the water was a little on the cool side, but she LOVED it.

Ruby thought she was pretty cool in her bathing suit and this little jean skirt that my friend Suzie gave her. I thought she looked like a little teenager. Live it up Ruby, because when you are a teenager the jean mini is totally out.






The boys had a great time as usual and thought it was so cool to have Ruby joining them. Reed is my little fish and would love to stay in the pool for hours if we let him.


In most settings Max is aggressively athletic, but when it comes to the pool he still prefers to spend most of his time hanging out on the stairs. I wouldn't say he's "afraid" of the water, but he has shown no desire to learn how to swim on his own.


Max kept wanting me to take pictures of him doing his "trick." I kept thinking that I was missing his trick until I realized his "trick" was essentially climbing out of the pool.


Even at the pool Reed's imagination was working in overdrive. Here he is telling me, "What if they had an Olympic sport that was like ski jumping, except instead of going down hills of snow it was a summer Olympic sport and they went down down hills of water that were like tidal waves. Wouldn't that be cool? " "And Mom....why do all of my ideas have to start with 'What if'?"


It was a successful first trip to the pool...and if spring is any indication of what summer has in store, this certainly wont be our last.

6 comments:

Nancy said...

They do not come much cuter than these kids. We want you to come swim in our pool this summer. When can you come?

Ashley said...

I absolutely adore the "what if," comment. So cute.

And Ruby...so dang cute.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ruby is so cute! I love her in that swim suit.

grandmother said...

As far as swimming is concerned. Reed is like Grandfather and probably Ruby,too, and Max is like me. I love the steps.

Robyn said...

Such cute little swimmers! Hope you guys all feel better this week so you can go relax in the pool again!