Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Something I never had

Ruby already has something I never had...brothers. It's been so much fun to watch her relationship with them develop over the past 5 months. I am happy to say that they both adore her, however in very different ways. For Reed it was love at first sight. He is so loving, gentle and sweet with her...much more than is his normal nature. He is never impatient and is always willing to hold and entertain her when I need his help. Reed asked me once when Ruby was only a few weeks old, "Mom, how did we get the cutest baby?" and I could tell it was a real question. Like me (and all parents of new babies) he thought we had really lucked out with her. I can really see him growing into a very supportive and protective older brother.




Max on the other hand (and yes, I realize their age has a lot to do with it) is loving in a silly, crazy, teasing sort of way. He is helpful, but I also have to keep an eye on him to make sure I don't hear things like, "Hey look at how long Ruby's arm can stretch!" or "Ruby likes it when I spin her around like that." He is just a little more aggressive in general and that tendency comes out in his displays of affection as well. As intense as his love can be, it is also very fun-filled and his time with Ruby is often accompanied by uncontrollable laughter from Max. He's a real clown with her and will do just about anything to get her to laugh or smile back.


I was trying to take a picture of Max holding Ruby the other day and I couldn't quite get the shot I was looking for. I did however capture a pretty good depiction of their current relationship.


"Ruby likes it when I fall back."


Max does have a gentle side too. Nearly ever morning the boys race in looking for Ruby just so they can stare at her. In fact, our first argument of the morning is usually all about who is hogging Ruby.


This picture kind of sums it up for me. Reed trying to be loving, Max close by with mischief in his eyes and Ruby content and mostly oblivious to anything but her toes at the moment.


I look forward to seeing how their relationships will continue to grow, develop and change in the future. One thing I know for sure is that Ruby is one lucky and loved little girl.

5 comments:

Monica said...

Love her little dress. Where did you get that one? So sweet and cute! Can't wait to see you guys in a couple months!

Nancy said...

People always used to imply to me that with so many kids my younger ones would not get much of my attention. That may be so (but I don't think it was) but they miss the point of how much love and attention the younger ones get from the older ones. I think it more than balances out having do share Mom with the other siblings. Great job painting that picture, Lindsay!

grandmother said...

Very sweet. Blessed family. And blessed me.

Suzie said...

That is so great. I love watching older siblings with babies. I also love those leg warmers, it makes me want to squeeze those legs. Oh can we get her some high heels to go with the warmers?

Robyn said...

She is blessed to have such great big brothers!!!