Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Nana

We were lucky enough to have another visitor this week. My Nana--my kid's great-grandmother--came to visit us this week from Colorado. I know it's a long way to come, so I really appreciated her making the trip to see my kids and meet my little Ruby. She thought Ruby looked like a little doll and loved her "dark eyes and pretty lips."

She only spent a few days here, but my boys really enjoyed the time with her. They have only seen her a handful of times and loved getting reacquainted. Max was a little chatterbox wanting to tell her everything about everything.When Reed heard her speaking Spanish to our neighbors he was so surprised and asked her, "Where did you learn all those Spanish words?!"

During her stay Nana helped around the house and with the kids. (She even took the boys to Walmart on her own!) I think she had a little trouble sleeping because even with the different time zone she was up early. I usually awoke to find her sweeping my floor. She admitted to me that she doesn't sweep after dark because she's still a little superstitious. She explained, "My mom always told me that sweeping after dark invites the witches, and I guess it just stuck with me." I don't think I washed more than two dishes while she was here. Nana says she loves cleaning, and, having watched her work my whole life, I believe her.

In addition to all the help she provided around the house, we also enjoyed a couple of other activities while she was here. The weather was great so we took a walk to the pond. She loved all of the beautiful trees along the way. If there is one thing North Carolina has, it's trees.


The boys collected sticks, wild onions and flowers on the way home from our walk. Nana was kind enough to let Max unload some of his treasures on her so they would all make it home.




We also went to the local strawberry farm behind our house and picked strawberries. They weren't quite ripe and were a little more expensive then buying them at Walmart, but it
was still a fun outing.






The kids even got to feed the pigs and chickens there. I was surprised at how comfortable Reed was feeding the pigs. They were crazy rowdy little pigs. Max was a little less comfortable.


Nana and Ruby stayed away from the stinky pigs.


Max was thrilled to find a large stack of baled hay at the farm, however he was quickly dissapointed to discover that there was no horse to go with it.


They didn't have any horses, but they did have a teeter totter. I love teeter totters. I wanted to go on it with Max until he informed me that I was WAY too big ("It's not for big girlers").


Growing up, Nana lived only a mile or so away from us, so we saw her all the time and she was able to be a big part of my life. I wish we had family that close now, but until we do I'm thankful for every little visit we get.



2 comments:

Nancy said...

What a wonderful grandmother you have, Lindsay! Isn't it great that she could spend that time with you and your boys could quickly learn to love her. I love that last picture, it shows how they feel.

grandmother said...

Sounds and looks like everyone had a nice time. I'm glad. Sorry I was there to join in. Did Nana comb Ruby's hair?