Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Volcanoes

The boys have always loved volcanoes and thought they were super cool (who doesn't?), but right before Reed 'tracked out' from school he learned a song about Mt. St. Helen's and now talk of volcanoes is something that occurs on a daily and sometimes hourly basis in our home. So yesterday, when I suggested that our fun activity be making a volcano, they were thrilled. 

The first step was to gather all the supplies that I was hoping we just had on hand. It was nothing short of serendipitous that yesterday we received a package in the mail and a phone book on our driveway since the first two things we needed were a box and newspaper. Reed was a little concerned about using the phone book instead of newspaper. "But what if we need to call some of these people?” he asked. I told him that I was confident we wouldn't to which he responded, "Then why do they even give us these phone books." I told him I wondered the same thing.



The kids were meticulous in their coverage of the table with the newspaper. I'm pretty sure most of the table was about 10 pages deep.


Goodbye Campbells...Hello Volcano. 




Creating the "lava mixture." Reed really wanted to boil this before we put in our volcano so it would be "more like a real volcano". When I said no, he said, "How about just a simmer? "

The anticipated moment...

Even Ruby seems a little excited to see the eruption.

I know they were really hoping it would overflow, but no such luck.

While the "lava" was flowing Reed asked me, "So what plate was this volcano on, the Caribbean plate?"

After the initial experiment was over, I let them have the box of baking soda to continue the eruption.
I love how excited they get about little stuff like this. I will miss it when it takes more than a little baking soda and vinegar to make their day.

The song that inspired the obsession

2 comments:

grandmother said...

Well that looked like a fun project. I've seen the baking soda-vinegar combination for lava before, but always white. Making it red was a nice touch. You have some crazy dancers. I will try to hunt down the Mt. St. Helen's ash and send it to them.

Robyn said...

You are such a fun mother!!! Your boys are too cute...making their creations and dancing to that song! Reed will have great memories of all of these fun activities while he was tracked out!