Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

7 things about Ruby

Here are a 7 random things about Ruby right now.

1. She is a sensitive gal (perhaps the understatement of the year). Her feelings can be hurt quite easily...specifically, if someone tells her not to do something or scares her. Without fail she will start crying, saying "I want my mama" (even when I've been the accidental offender.) Once in my arms she will request something that will make her "feel better". One of her funniest and most frequent requests is for a bath. "I need a baaaath." Somehow a bath makes everything better.


2. She's got crazy long hair. I know have to cut her hair someday, but today is not that day.


3. Ruby will only eat with a "baby spoon". My great aunt Bette has given each one of my kids a set of baby silverware engraved with their names. If you accidentally give Ruby a regular spoon she will be greatly offended. (refer to item #1).

4. She love to hide. This is not my favorite thing. In fact, it's not even on my list of things I like. I've got no problem with hide and seek and I definitely appreciate a good game of sardines, but Ruby's patient and impromptu hiding makes me crazy. She thinks it's very funny to disappear and then wait patiently while we frantically call her name. Even when we do eventually find her she keeps her eyes covered and waits quietly hoping her cover hasn't been blown. Combine this with the fact that she's a known escape artist and you have a recipe for a paranoid mother.

Ruby using the "if I don't see you, you don't see me" theory.




5. She's a do-it-yourselfer. I think Sam and I have decided the most frequent phrase out of Ruby's mouth is "I do it all by myself" (That's my _____ (fill in with anything)! is a close second). I appreciate her efforts at self sufficiency, but sometimes the sweetest words I can hear (especially when getting in her car seat) "Mommy can do it." Here she is helping herself to a snack.

6. She loves tomatoes (and most other acidic fruits that seem to make her eczema worse). We had BLT's the other night and before we had all even gotten to the table she had served herself (see item 5) a plate full of tomato slices, generously leaving one slice for each of the rest of us. The only thing better than a sliced tomato would be baby (cherry) tomatos which she's been know to eat a whole basket of.


7. She has a delightful imagination. With her flare for the dramatic she makes quite an actress. I must say her ability to mimic emotion from others or characters in books is impressive. I don't have any good pictures of the dramatics, but yesterday she came to me in a pillowcase waddling around the kitchen with her legs apart saying, "Look, I'm a penguin, I'm a penguin"


Making this list has made me think of a million other little things that make Ruby "Ruby" right now and I don't want to forget a single one. I love Ruby's dynamic little personality, even the aspects that are a little trying. She's a special girl and I'm so glad she's ours.

1 comment:

grandmother said...

I am glad she's yours too. And I am glad I am the grandmother. But I tell you I do not like #4. Last month when I was babysitting her, I about had heart failure when we could not find her. I was about to call the police when Belle found her hiding under your bed. The other 6 qualities I like.