Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

I'd be lying if I said this was the best mother's day ever. I'd also be lying if I said there was another mother's day when I had felt as grateful as I did today for the opportunity and blessing it is to be a mother. I know those are kind of conflicting sentiments, but that's just the kind of day it was.

Today's lack of perfection had nothing to do with a shortage of effort on Sam's part--quite the contrary. It was more of a 'series of unfortunate events' kind of bad day that was only held together to any degree by super human efforts on Sam's part to make it so.

For breakfast Sam made what we affectionately call "blanket pancakes" although they are really just crepes. They got their name from the first time I tried to make them and instead of coming out like beautiful thin circles they looked more like a rumpled pile of blankets. Even though they aren't pretty that is just the way I like them. The rumplier the better.


They are much more beautiful (and delicious) with their toppings.


Breakfast and all of my sweet cards from the kids were absolutely perfect. The front of this card said, "Nobody knew...". I appreciated the suspense.


I don't know why I only have a picture of Reed from breakfast. I guess I was too busy celebrating me.


Some mother's get corsages--I got a badge, and wore it with pride. I wore it during breakfast and then when I got dressed for church Max said, "what happened to your badge? Thankfully I was able to "find" it again.


Unfortunately, the rest our morning didn't goes as pleasantly as breakfast, largely due to a primary Mother's Day craft I was in charge of. There is nothing I want to record about that mini disaster except for the fact that we learned some good lessons on things to avoid in the future. Because of our delay we ended up in the foyer during the first part of sacrament meeting and the boys missed their cue to go up to the stand to sing the Mother's Day song. Reed was pretty upset about not being up there and I was actually surprised that I was a little sad they missed it too. I tried to help him snap out of his disappointment and just about had until the speaker following the musical number got up and said how beautiful the children had sung. "See?! That compliment means nothing to me!" I did my best not to laugh, but sometimes his dramatics are too amusing.

The rest of the day kinda went down hill from there, largely because Ruby was sick and incredibly ornery all day long. She was a mess at home, a mess at church, and a mess on our way home from church. However, when it came time to take pictures she was pretty much all smiles. Even when she's sick that girl can really turn it on for the camera.








I absolutely love these kids and the opportunity I have to be their mother. I can honestly say I think I love my role more now than I have at any other time in my life--and after a day like today, that's saying a a lot.

2 comments:

John Evelyn said...

Well it looks like to me it was a great Mother's Day after you take out all the bad stuff. Great breakfast, great cards, great buttons and great photo shoot thanks to great photographer with great looking people.

Monica said...

GREAT pics Lindsay!! I LOVE your outfit and Ruby's dress is so darling!