Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Because Memorial Day is still a few weeks away

Max has been looking forward to our neighborhood pool opening again pretty much since the day it closed at the end of summer last year. He asks me on a regular basis, "When does the pool open, again?" I'm pretty sure his frequent question has less to do with a poor memory and more to do with wanting my answer to be different. Each time he asks I tell him that it will open on Memorial Day, which is in May.

Max is very familiar with the months of the year and their order so when the first day of May started to creep closer I could tell Max's excitement about the impending pool opening was also starting to escalate. While Max does know his months he is less aware of the holiday dates and had not realized (nor did his mother tell him) that Memorial Day was the end of May. You can imagine his disappointment to learn that in fact he had another month to wait.
In an effort to soften the blow I suggested that he and Ruby take a swim in my bathtub. I don't normally let them use our bathtub so it was a significant enough treat to appease him for the moment.


Appeasing Max may have been the reason for the mini-pool party, but Ruby is thrilled with any opportunity to wear her "baby-suit".












My little whale.


Max said, "look Mom I'm breaching". I'm glad it was actually more reaching and less breaching.


By the end they were some very pruny children.


We have had many more bath tub swims since this and while I'm glad that Max can be happy with this simple pleasure, I can also say that we are both looking forward to an early Memorial Day weekend.

1 comment:

grandmother said...

Can I say again, Reed, Max, and Ruby are so lucky to have their growing up years so well documented. I know you probably wish you could do more, but compared to the rest of the world you are doing an outstanding job. Sorry to say my three will have to wait for the blog in the spirit world.
Max, I did not realize you enjoyed the water so much. Did you know that your grandfather was on the swim team in high school and at Ricks? Have your grandfather teach some special strokes this summer. You only have 3 weeks left before Memorial Day!