Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Growing up



A couple months ago Reed decided to ride his scooter with me as I ran our neighborhood. It was only a couple miles, but it was a special little outing for just the two of us that I thoroughly enjoyed. Without any other distractions he was a steady stream of chatter telling me everything from what he was learning in school to his philosophies on life. I smiled as he detailed his "fitness plan" for recess and made metaphors about the meaning of life. I couldn't help but think, "Who is this kid and when did he get so grown up?" I remember specifically wishing to freeze that moment in time with him. I could tell he felt loved as I listened to his detailed plans and thoughts with rapt attention.

I miss my "little boy" Reed, but I also love the more grown up connection I've been able to develop with him as well. When I complimented his maturity and knowledge of grown up things he said, "Oh you mean about things like cartology?" Yes, Reed--the study of maps, just what I thinking. I guess I haven't lost my "little boy" completely.

Apparently I'm not the only one that wants to "freeze" things. Reed wanted me to take a picture of him that made it look like he levitating the cards.I don't think we did too bad.


3 comments:

grandmother said...

I like that look you are giving Reed. Your mom is right it seems you are growing up so fast. I remember the day you came home from the hospital. It doesn't seem like 8 long years ago. It seems like 8 very quick years. Before we know it, you will be passing sacrament, then going on a mission, then going to college and then before I know it you will be getting married. Oh no, as long as it takes me to find a dress for a special occasion, I had better start looking now. That card picture is cool, good idea.

Casey said...

I love both of those pictures! I can relate to your post, children really do grow up so fast.

grandmother said...

Oh Reed, I meant to tell you how impressed and proud of you I am in your choosing to fast the 24 hours. Another sign of your "growing up", but even more important, another sign of your faithfulness.