Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Max & Ruby



I have almost always avoided saying 'Max and Ruby' in public, but after more than 2 years of having my own "Max and Ruby" I think I'm finally over the bunny cartoon/book references. I still remember when I took Ruby to one of her first well visits at the pediatricians office. I had scheduled the appointment so that Max could be seen at the same time for his 3 year old check up. I'll never forget the the awkward moment of silence and stares from every toddler in the busy waiting room when the nurse came out and called "Max and Ruby". I cringed a little at what I imagined all their mothers must have been thinking.

Thankfully, now when I hear the names "Max and Ruby" I think instead of the best friends these two have grown into. I say grown because it wasn't an instant relationship like it was with Reed and Ruby. Max always thought Ruby was "interesting", but in the past year the two have become inseparable. They spend a lot of time together while Reed is at school all day and they have learned so much from each other. Here are just a few of those things.

1. Max has learned the beauty of being the older child. Max is often at Reed's side to watch him work and be in awe of what he can do. I love that Max now has his own fan club.


2. Max has learned that just because your sister is a girl doesn't mean you can't treat her like an equal. This picture is from almost a year ago but typifies a special part of their relationship that has only grown stronger.


3. Ruby has learned all about trains, planes, ninjas, bats and every other boyish interest. Her brothers have made her a well-rounded girl.


4. Ruby has learned to push herself to keep up with Max. Ruby desperately wants to do everything Max does and doesn't give up easily. When Max took an art class a few months ago guess who ended up adding herself to the roll?


5. Ruby has learned that brothers take care of you and love you even when you are being a little demanding. Whenever they get to watch something on TV it is always Ruby who chooses what they watch, which means they almost always watch Curious George and Max is almost always OK with it.


6. Max has learned patience, patience, patience. I used to think Max was as stubborn as they come--then I met Ruby. Max can still be stubborn, but I am in awe sometimes at how much--even without my intervention-- he is willing to give in to his sister. His future wife owes Ruby a big thank you.


7. Ruby has learned that Max is pretty cool. Not only does Ruby try to copy everything Max says, but she also take notes of his likes and dislikes and does her best to make them her own. Ruby's favorite cartoon is Curious George because it was Max's favorite. Whenever they would watch it, Max would read the title of the episode and say, "Oh, I know this one". Now whenever Ruby watches Curious George the first thing she says is "Oh, I know this one."

"You want to look out the window for bad birds? Oh...so do I...and I'm pretty sure it was my idea first." (That's at least what I imagine Ruby's thinking based on what I know about her.)


8. Max has learned that Ruby is a pretty fun girl. Although she does have a mind of her own she is often willing to play along with any game that Max thinks up. Whether it's shooting birds in the front yard or building a giant Lego tower, that girl is right by his side.

Max reading Ruby a book about dinosaurs in the "house" he made for her--in the kitchen of course. The fake apple decor is a nice touch.


I don't think people will stop making the bunny/cartoon connection anytime soon, but after two and half years the names "Max and Ruby" mean so much more to me, and, thankfully, it has nothing to do with bunnies.

2 comments:

grandmother said...

I loved all the pictures and your commentary. Max and Ruby (and Reed) and their children are going to be so thankful for your diligence in recording the different aspects of their lives.

grandmother said...

This is a good entry to share with Max and Ruby when they are not getting along.