Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Almost there...

Practically overnight Max is very nearly potty trained. It was long overdue, and that makes this first day of staying completely dry even more monumental. I had given potty training a few weak attempts over the past year, knowing in the back of my mind that there was really no motivation I could offer Max that would get him interested. Max is quite determined and stubborn. A couple weeks ago I couldn't get him anywhere near a toilet and he seemed totally unfazed at the prospect of wearing diapers for the rest of his life. Last week when I tried to encourage him he said, "but I like to be wet." When I told him that 3-year-olds don't wear diapers he said, "ok...then I'm 2." I really thought we were in it for the long haul. So this week when Reed was working on earning stars for his behavior and I suggested that Max use the toilet to earn stars I really didn't expect anything different than my previous attempts. In fact, I put even less effort in this time. I never reminded him to use the toilet, never bribed him to just try, or be a "big boy." All at once he just started saying, "I need to go to the bathroom" and he went. Even while at the store with Sam today he asked to use the bathroom. I still don't consider him "potty trained" because it really can't be that easy, but at least there is hope that the Lightning McQueen underwear collecting dust in his drawer (after sitting there for almost a year) will get some use.

3 comments:

Monica said...

That's about how fast Jared was potty trained so you just may be done and not even kow it! Good job Max!

grandmother said...

Keep it up Maxo-Waxo.

Nancy said...

When they are ready, it's easy.