Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Happy Birthday Reed!

Reed's celebration started early this morning when he woke up to find birthday wishes on his bathroom mirror.



A few days ago I told Reed he could have whatever he wanted for breakfast on his birthday---pancakes, waffles, french toast...whatever. He said what he really wanted was a cereal with a toy surprise or a "junk" cereal. He opted for the "junk" and enjoyed a huge bowl of Cookie Crisp with chocolate milk.


Half-way through his meal, he said, "Wow..this cereal has 13 grams of sugar!"



At school I did bring in a gigantic cookie to share with his class, but when Reed got home from school I really didn't have anything planned. Sam had a late meeting at work so after school I told Reed to make a list of things he'd like to do to enjoy the rest of his birthday. I knew he'd probably enjoy making the list just as much as doing the actual activities. His list included:

1. Play the Wii
2. Play with Legos
3. Play with Paul and Leah (neighbors)
4. Do a play (when I asked about this he described something more like silly birthday charades: e.g. pretend you have a cake in your hand and you smash it into your face.)

We only got through half the list, but I still think he felt celebrated.

Playing with Paul, Leah and Max of course.


Dangerous games.


Trampoline.


Sam wasn't home for dinner so Reed asked if they could watch TV during dinner..., "Since it is my birthday." I felt a little guilty, but birthdays do only come once a year.


Reed loves Ruby so much. She doesn't have much to say, but I did want Reed to know that the feelings were mutual. He loved it.


When Sam got home we opened presents and enjoyed some birthday ice cream. We got Reed rollerblades. He had tried them out a few weeks ago and had fun so we thought it would be a good gift. We were right. As soon as he put them on he took two strides and said, "Wow...I didn't know I was so good."


After a few loops around the kitchen he was feeling confident enough to multitask.


The only downer of the evening was Max when he realized there weren't any rollerblades in the box him. Poor boy.


Thankfully it was nothing a bowl of cookies and cream ice cream couldn't fix.


Happy Birthday to my big SIX-year-old Reed!! I love you.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Love you, Reed! Sounds like the ideal birthday. Wish we could have been there too.

Ashley said...

You are such a good Mom! Happy Birthday Reed!

Whitney said...

sounds like a wonderful birthday. i love ruby's onesie.