Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I did it!!!!

Actually I should say "We did it!" because without these sweet kids (and an encouraging husband) I wouldn't have been motivated or had so much fun reaching this record keeping goal. This past month has flown and they've given me so much worth remembering. I'm thrilled that I actually will remember it now---so thrilled in fact that I'm kind of afraid to stop. It seems a little crazy to keep up this type of commitment, but I keep asking myself what I've missed out on by spending my time recording the things that I have. So far I can't think of anything...maybe a few episodes of Project Runway? a little sleep? When I look at what I have recorded to keep forever even the little extra lack of sleep makes it seem worthwhile. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. I know I definitely don't want to go back to being a monthly record keeper. These kids are growing and changing way too fast for that.





Just yesterday as we were setting the table for dinner Reed asked if he could start using a grown up plate. I tried to act like it was no big deal (because it isn't), but inside I felt a little pang of sadness to realize that that my little boy really is growing up. I, of course, want and expect him to, but for some reason it still takes me by surprise. Thankfully this whole growing up thing is a process. While he has recently taken huge strides in being more responsible and mature in his behavior he also does a million things everyday that reminds me that he's still my silly little boy.

Reed was ecstatic to get a birthday gift of helmet, knee pads and elbow pads in the mail from Nana and Papa. He put them on right away with his rollerblades and then kept falling down just to show me how much it didn't hurt him.


Later on when he was in the kitchen getting a glass he bumped his head on the cupboard and said, "Oh, I should have been wearing my helmet."


And this little girl really does change every day--- I think I love her more everyday too. Will the novelty of getting her dressed every morning ever wear off?

5 comments:

grandmother said...

I sure hope you can keep it up. I have thoroughly enjoyed your posts.
Can't wait to see you all in 8 more days.

Monica said...

super cute headband. Did you make that one? I like it!!! She is such a cutie! Oh and no the novelty doesn't wear off because I still get excited over getting Lydia dressed so after 2.5 yrs nope, doesn't wear off!

Keep posting. You won't regret it. I always regret when I open my journal to write in it and see that it's been a month or longer and think oh the things I have lost since I didn't get to write in it. So, no you won't regret it one bit and you will love having it later on for sure!

Lacey said...

I still love getting Kate dressed, but from experience I know that I only have a little while left. Once their opinion is stronger than yours, it's not so fun. But three years is a long way off right?

Nancy said...

I love Reed's "cool" face in the first rollerblading picture. It is the look on all the teenagers on their facebook pages. We can wait for that stage. Thank you for a wonderful month's view into the lives of your family. I am accepting Sam's challenge, but it won't be nearly as fun as yours.

Robyn said...

I am so impressed that you not only posted every day, but that you posted about things you wanted to remember! Your family will love to look back on these. Just think how easy it will be to now print this in a book!!! Keep it up and hopefully one day I'll start following your great example! ps...you have the cutest kids...we miss them tons!