Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Friday, March 5, 2010

Friday Night Movie

This week Reed has been trying to be on his best behavior to earn a Friday night reward. All week long he has been working towards a fun family movie night including popcorn and pulling out the mattresses into the living room to enjoy Monsters Inc. together.

He's been focused on the prize and was ecstatic to have finally earned the prize today. He's never seen Monster's Inc. but told me he thought it might be something about a giant monster squid since squids spray ink. I told him I didn't think it was that kind of ink.

After about 20 minutes of the movie (and a few dives under the covers) Reed decided Monster's Inc. was not for him. It wasn't the Monsters that scared him it was more the scenes where there was any kind of tension from things that didn't go like they were supposed to, or when he thought someone was going to be surprised or get in trouble. Ever since he was very little he would come running away from the TV if he was worried someone was going to do something wrong, embarrassing, or surprising.

I definitely do not want him to grow up to be a scaredy cat in any way, but for now I think it's a little sweet and endearing too. He's growing up too fast in so many other ways that I am OK keeping my scaredy boy for a little longer.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Looks like Dad was more bored than nervous! Isn't it funny how we all get so desensitized from what we were when we were young. Reed will, too, I suppose. For now, how empathetic his reactions are. May he never lose the ability to empathize.

PS I love reading your blog every morning. What will I do when your month is up?