Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Monday, March 29, 2010

Creative Energy

Today was Reed's first day of being tracked out and as expected he was a little ball of energy and creativity. This morning when it was still dark outside he came into my room and said, "Mom, I want to make something." I was hoping it was breakfast he was talking about, but he was thinking more along the lines of monsters or robots.

He went straight to work planning and organizing his construction paper monsters . I wasn't kidding when I said these children can go through a ream of paper a week. My children love paper and especially love to cut it. Reed had just turned 2 when my mom showed him how to use scissors and he's been a cutting fool ever since. I am a little embarrassed when I think about how we used to bring scissors to church to keep Reed busy during sacrament meeting. We don't take them to church anymore, but I do usually keep a pair in my purse and they often come in handy. Just a few weeks ago while Max, Ruby and I were hanging out during Reed's soccer practice I was able to pull them out and keep Max busy. I did get a few funny looks, but it did the trick. I must say I think all this cutting has paid off. I was so impressed by this little 2 inch Clifford that Max cut out the other day that I saved it.



Here is Reed focused on designing creature #1.






We did sneak in breakfast. Our empty oatmeal container turned into monster number 3.


After the monsters were complete the boys wanted to set up a monster art gallery. I told them that we could do it as soon I mopped the floor. I guess Reed knows how long that can take me sometimes because he jumped right up and said, "I know just what to do," and grabbed some rags and a bowl. The floor did get a little wetter than usual and I think they used every rag in the house, but the floor did get clean.

They washed while I took pictures. I'll take that trade any day.








Reed even offered to wash the walls. He really was full of energy.




Max had an interesting rag throwing technique...


and an even more interesting drying technique.




After the floor was washed the monster art gallery opened. Apparently, for Reed life really does imitate art.

4 comments:

grandmother said...

WOW! I was impressed with everything, the cutting, the scary monsters and the floor cleaning. Great job Reed and Max.

Robyn said...

Super cool monsters!!! Have a fun school break. I'm sure it will be filled with tons more creative projects!!!

Nancy said...

I was even more impressed with a patient mom who lets her boys mop and cut and mess up, when doing it on your own is so much more efficient. Can I have a do over? I want to be you. Reed and Max are something else!

Whitney said...

I love the monster art gallery, Reed and Max are very talented. Speaking of talented you have become such a good photographer-what's your secret?