Dickson Family

Dickson Family

Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 1

When I first committed to this month of daily record keeping I worried that I would have a hard time coming up with things I wanted to remember every day. Boy was I wrong. The real problem is picking which thing to write about. I know it's only been one day, but I already feel like it's helped me to realize how fleeting and precious time is. I hope I don't sound too sappy when I re-read this because it's really how I feel. (Not that there aren't plenty of moments in my day that frustrate and annoy me and I wish would never be repeated... it's just that I am not going to dwell on those since this is a record of the things I want to remember. )

Tonight was a classic FHE in our home with our traditional 3 lessons. No need for one of those cute FHE job charts in this house. Ever since Reed was two he has wanted to do a lesson too and with Max trying to follow his every footstep we now have 3 lessons. I have no doubt that in a couple years it will be 4. We use the term "lesson" loosely in our household.

Max's "lesson" had some visual aides that I thought were wonderful for a 3 year old. He told us about a blue and green elephant in a parade, and then, sensing that we wondered what this had to do with the gospel, he threw in that the scriptures were also in the parade. Thank you Max. I was wishing the whole time that our video camera was rolling...especially when he stopped his lesson midway when he realized his elephants did not have eye brows and had to rush over for the emergency addition.


Reed's lesson consisted of a game where each family member had a paper heart that they were to either hold up or put down when he described a scenario. Hearts up if it was a good thing, hearts down for a bad thing. If there is one thing that little boy likes, it is being in charge. Tonight's game was no exception.

After a good lead up by the boys Sam gave a great lesson on prayer, encouraging the boys to say their individual prayers right when they woke up. Reed suggested that we have a list that tells them what to do in the morning so they can put stars next to it when they've done it. I love that boy...he knows what I like. I told him I thought it was a great idea and I'd get right on it.

Here is Ruby helping Sam get ready for FHE. It's exciting to watch her work her way into our lives.



I just realized today, that as much as I worry about this or that about my baby girl (does she eat enough? can she sleep more? did I give her the right middle name?) she really is even more wonderful than I imagined she would be. I still can hardly believe we have a "she". I feel very blessed to call her mine.

4 comments:

grandmother said...

Hope you keep it up. I know you are writing this for yourself, but I will be thorougly enjoying along the way. Second best to being there.

Monica said...

What a great idea Linds. I love that you are going to write something each day and it is so easy to forget the little wonderful moments! I love Ruby's smile and YES you did pick the right middle name! So cute and nice that she has a part of you too! Keep writing! Maybe you will inspire me too! ;o)

Nancy said...

I love your FHE and I love the picture of Ruby with her dad. She almost looks like she is interested in his lesson book. You can't start too young. I can see the proof of that in your boys.

Robyn said...

Super cute boys you have raised!!